Global mobile phone market volume grew sequentially but declined year-on-year again in the second quarter of 2019, reaching 431.7 million units. Of the total mobile phones shipped, 346.1 million were smartphones, down 3.6% year-on-year. By regional markets in the second quarter, sales of smartphones in North America and Europe continued to decline while sales of smartphones in China, India, and Southeast Asia managed to grow slightly or stayed relatively the same. The escalating trade war and Huawei ban affected the market demand in the second quarter, traditionally the peak season for Android phones. The rollout plans of phone brands were disrupted, along with the demand in regional markets.
For instance, Huawei's shipments to Europe and Japan declined but the company's shipments in China increased due to public support. But this somewhat affected its Chinese counterparts such as Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi. Despite the market has been optimistic about 5G phones in 2020, the market demand, however, is anticipated to be continued affecting by the US-China trade war as President Trump plans to impose tariffs of 15% on goods in the fourth round of list, including smartphones.
List of Topics:
- This research report presents worldwide mobile phone shipment volume forecast and recent quarter review of major mobile phone vendors’ performance.
- The report includes major vendors' shipment volume and growth, shipment revenue and growth, operating profit, and ASP.
- Worldwide Mobile Phone Shipment Volume, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Shipment Volume, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Shipment Volume Share, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Shipment Volume Year over Year Growth Rate, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Shipment Volume Quarter on Quarter Growth Rate, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Shipment Revenue, 3Q 2016 - 2Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Shipment Revenue Year over Year Growth Rate, 3Q 2016 - 2Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Shipment Revenue Quarter on Quarter Growth Rate, 3Q 2016 - 2Q 2019
- Major Smartphone Vendor Shipment Volume, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Smartphone Vendor Shipment Volume Share, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Smartphone Vendor Shipment Volume Year over Year Growth Rate, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Smartphone Vendor Shipment Volume Quarter on Quarter Growth Rate, 1Q 2017 - 4Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor Operating Profit Margin, 3Q 2016 - 2Q 2019
- Major Mobile Phone Vendor ASP, 3Q 2016 - 2Q 2019
- Research Scope & Definitions
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
Primary research with a holistic, cross-domain approach
The exhaustive primary research methods are central to the value that the analyst delivers. A combination of questionnaires and on-site visits to the major manufacturers provides a first view of the latest data and trends. Information is subsequently validated by interviews with the manufacturers' suppliers and customers, covering a holistic industry value chain. This process is backed up by a cross-domain team-based approach, creating an interlaced network across numerous interrelated components and system-level devices to ensure statistical integrity and provide in-depth insight.
Complementing primary research is a running database and secondary research of industry and market information. Dedicated research into the macro-environmental trends shaping the ICT industry also allows the analyst to forecast future development trends and generate foresight perspectives. With more than 20 years of experience and endeavors in research, the methods and methodologies include:
- Component supplier interviews
- System supplier interviews
- User interviews
- Channel interviews
- IPO interviews
- Focus groups
- Consumer surveys
- Production databases
- Financial data
- Custom databases
- Technology forecasting and assessment
- Product assessment and selection
- Product life cycles
- Added value analysis
- Market trends
- Scenario analysis
- Competitor analysis