Biometrics is the measure and analysis of how someone behaves. It can be applied for both verification and identification purposes. Biometric verification is used to verify a person is who they claim to be, while biometric identification determines who the person is based on a measured biometric factor. There are a number of characteristics that can be used for biometric identification, including fingerprints, irises, voice patterns and facial geometry.
While most of us are accustomed to using biometrics to unlock our phones and replace passwords, the next logical step is automotive applications. In pushing back the technical boundaries, some automakers are exploring the application of fingerprint sensors, retinal scans, and voice/facial recognition in order to replace the conventional key fob for accessing a car and starting its engine.
In-vehicle biometrics can do more than unlock cars, however. The technology can be applied to detect driver health by monitoring their heart rate, blood pressure, drowsiness, levels of blood alcohol content, and even warnings about a potential epileptic seizure. In-vehicle biometrics can also assist with vehicle security and enable the driver to personalise settings, including cabin temperature, radio and seat adjustment.
This report sets out analysis of the automotive biometrics market, providing intelligence on the main drivers, opportunities and challenges facing the sector. It considers the status and prospects of the major applications for automotive biometrics: namely facial, fingerprint, voice and iris recognition.
The scope of this report includes:
The current status of automotive biometrics:
- How will tomorrow’s car use biometrics?
- What is happening and in which cars?
- Why does it matter and what are the next steps?
Market opportunities of automotive biometrics:
- What is the market potential?
- Is the automotive industry facing a biometric boom?
- What is the big picture?
Market challenges of automotive biometrics:
- Key concerns: What your car will know about you.
- Automotive biometrics and data collection laws: Are the biometrics stored? When, where, why and for how long?
- What are the implications for the car insurance industry?
Included in the report is coverage of 32 key players pushing back the technical boundaries in the automotive biometrics arena.
- What is it?
- Are biometrics road ready?
- Table: Biometrics timeline: How did we get here?
- Applications of facial recognition
- Benefits of facial recognition
- Challenges of facial recognition
- Hyundai Motor
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Xpeng Motors
- Aerendir Mobile
- Altran Technologies
- Apple Inc
- Fingerprint Cards
- Gentex Corp
- Hyundai Mobis
- Nuance Communications
- Olea Sensor Networks
- Precise Bioemtrics
- SMK Electronics
- Aisin Seiki
- General Motors
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Matsushita Electric
- Mitsubishi Motors
- Seeing Machines
- Sober Steering