The 2019 National Instructional Materials Adoption Scorecard and 2020 Outlook provides a singular look at sales by subject in particular states - those states classified as adoption states, which conduct statewide reviews and purchasing processes for instructional materials.
This report provides individual analyses of the Texas K-8 English language arts adoption results, as well as significant sales results from individual districts in the K-8 social studies and science adoptions in California, and a compilation of K-12 sales results largely in science and world history in North Carolina.
While Florida did suspend the adoption in 2019 while it develops new reading and math curriculum standards, some districts did go through with planned adoptions and the publisher collected several such results. An overview of K-12 social studies purchasing in Tennessee also is provided.
This report features an all new Publisher Adoption Scorecard, which ranks the leading publishers by sales, and a look at the opportunities that will open up in 2020 through 2023.
The 2019 National Instructional Materials Adoption Scorecard and 2020 Outlook provides valuable insight into:
- The process of state textbooks adoptions
- The factors that influence sales in the school districts
- Outcomes by publishers
- The broadening of the field of participants in adoptions.
1. Executive Summary
3. Introduction and Trends
- EdReports Builds Evaluation Role
- Guaranteed Demand
- 18 States Form Core of Instructional Materials Adoptions
- Table Instructional Materials Adoption States
- Adoption Cycles
4. 2019 State Adoption Results
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Dominates Texas K-8 ELA Adoption
- Table Texas K-8 English Language Arts Adoption Sales, 2019 ($ actual and rounded; ranked by total share)
- Disappointment for McGraw Hill
- Persistence of Cursive
- LA Powers McGraw Hill in California Social Studies
- Table California Adoption Sales, 2019 ($ actual and rounded; ranked by total share)
- Science Slow for School Specialty; Competition Grows
- North Carolina Spending Focused on Science, World History
- Table North Carolina K-12 Sales, 2019 ($ actual and rounded; ranked by total share)
- Sporadic Purchasing in Florida
- New Social Studies in Tennessee
- McGraw Hill Education Tops 2019 Publisher Adoption Scorecard
- Table: Adoption Publisher Scorecard, 2019 ($ in 000 and rounded; ranked by total sales)
- Eureka Leads Scorecard Newcomers
5. Looking Ahead-2020 and Beyond
- Texas OKs 9-12 ELA Programs from 13 Publishers
- Table Publishers with Approved Titles in the 2020 Texas 9-12 English Language arts Adoption
- NC Board OKs 92 Programs in ELA Adoption
- Table Approved Titles in North Carolina 2020 K-12 English Language Arts Adoption
- Activity in Tennessee and South Carolina
- Coming Adoption Activity
- Table State K-12 Instructional Materials Adoption Schedule, Purchase Years 2020-2023