This 82-page report presents extensive data and commentary on the flow of funds to Alzheimers and dementia research in the USA, Europe, Japan, and China, Australia, Canada, and Australia - with particular emphasis on the USA. The study tracks the flow of grants and contracts to universities and private sector entities and profiles the efforts of numerous leading American universities including but not limited to Columbia University, Harvard University, the University of Southern California, Washington University, Boston University, and many others. In addition, it examines the role of non-USA universities and research bodies including the Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, University College London, the French National Research Agency, the University of Toronto and many others.
The report also looks at the flow of funds to private companies such as Cognition Therapeutics, Agenbio, Cassava Sciences, and others. It also examines developments in university spin-offs in the Alzheimers/dementia area, and profiles public and private sector partnerships worldwide including but not limited to the Alzheimers Disease Neuroimaging Initiative and the Dementia Discovery Fund. It also looks at trends in the awarding of patents.
The study helps its readers to answer questions such as: what Alzheimer-and dementia-related companies and products are universities developing? How much are various scientific funding agencies worldwide spending on Alzheimers and dementia research and into which areas is it flowing? Which universities are getting these grants and contracts? Which private companies? What new approaches and products are gaining ground?
The report was written by Annika N Alexopoulou who graduated from the University of Surrey with 1st class honors degree in Biochemistry and holds a PhD from Imperial College London, where she worked on embryonic stem cell differentiation into cells of the vasculature. She has specialized in cell and molecular biology and has worked as a postdoc in several labs in the UK and in Greece and has been published in several peer-reviewed journals.
About the Author
Annika N Alexopoulou graduated from the University of Surrey with 1st class honours degree in Biochemistry and holds a PhD from Imperial College London, where she worked on embryonic stem cell differentiation into cells of the vasculature. She has specialized in cell and molecular biology and has worked as a postdoc in several labs in the UK and in Greece and has been published in several peer-reviewed journals. She is the author of the running blog “At least she never walked” where she writes about her experiences as a runner but also includes scientific reviews on issues related to running.
About the Author
- Basic Description of Dementia
- World Demographics of Dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Characteristics of Ad Pathology
- Future Work
- International Alzheimer’s and Related Dementias Research Portfolio; IADRP
- Web of Science
Chapter 1. Prevalence of Dementia
Chapter 2. Countries and Institutions Leading the Way in Ad Research
Chapter 3. US Government Grant Funding for Dementia/Alzheimers Research
- Research Conducted in the Top NIH Grant Recipients
- Alzheimer’s Disease Research Centre (ADRC), Columbia University
- University of Southern California (USC)
- University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
- Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis
- University of Pennsylvania
- Washington University
- Northern California Institute for Research and Education (NCIRE)
- Massachusetts General Hospital-Harvard
- University of Wisconsin Madison
- Boston University
- US Government Private Company Funding
- Cognition Therapeutics
- Cassava Sciences
Chapter 4. Ad Research in Countries Other than the US
- Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Capital Medical University
Chapter 5. International Initiatives and Collaborations Between the Public and Private Sector
- Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative
- Dementia Discovery Fund (DDF)
- Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI)
- The International Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Portfolio (IADRP)
Chapter 6. Patents
Chapter 7. Spin-Offs and Hot Research
- Admit Therapeutics S. L.
- AC Immune
- AC Immune Products in the Pipeline
- Current Clinical Trials in the USA
- Alzheimers/Dementia Clinical Trials in Europe