"Operators can target segments of unmet digital service demand as long as consumers’ engagement with OTT communication and social media apps remains limited in Australia and New Zealand."
This report focuses on aspects of the Connected Consumer Survey that relate to the behaviour, preferences, and plans of smartphone users in Australia and New Zealand (ANZ). In particular, it focuses on respondents' usage of over-the-top (OTT) communications and social media services.
- identifies which communications apps are used the most in ANZ
- highlights the pockets of revenue growth that remain in the OTT communication market
- identifies which OTT communication app features are used the most
- discusses the ways in which consumers in ANZ balance their use of OTT VoIP services with that of operator voice services
- identifies consumers’ preferred channels to use to communicate with brands.
Key Questions Answered in this Report
- Which OTT communications apps are used most in ANZ?
- Where is there potential for growth in the OTT communication and social media space?
- Which OTT communication app features are most-frequently used?
- How do consumers in ANZ balance their use of OTT VoIP services with that of operator voice services?
- Do consumers in ANZ use OTT apps and social media services differently from their European and North American peers?
- Is there any potential for monetisation by mobile operators?
Who should Read this Report
- Operator-based strategy executives and marketing managers who are interested in understanding consumer market trends and the changing role of operators as communications and digital service providers.
- Market intelligence and research executives in service providers that are responsible for understanding end-user trends and supporting business units in identifying and addressing new opportunities in mobile communications services.
- Equipment/device manufacturers and software providers that want to identify end-user trends in service and device usage and help their operator customers to better address market opportunities in mobile services related to communication services.
Survey Data Coverage:
The survey was conducted in association with Dynata between July and August 2019. The survey groups were chosen to be representative of the mobile-internet-using population in Australia and New Zealand. The analyst sets quotas on age, gender and geographical spread to that effect. There was a minimum of 1000 respondents per country.