This report focuses on aspects of the Connected Consumer Survey that relate to the behaviour, preferences and plans of smartphone users in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). In particular, it focuses on respondents’ usage of mobile services and devices. The survey was conducted in association with On Device Research.
This Report Provides:
- insight into operators' performance as smartphone sales channels, and how their performance relates to consumers' choice of tariffs
- an analysis of mobile data usage patterns among respondents and how they are affected by data pricing
- an assessment of the impact of 4G on mobile users' spend and engagement with their smartphones
- insight into subscribers' awareness of 5G and their willingness to pay for 5G use cases.
Survey Data Coverage:
The survey was conducted in association with On Device Research between August and September 2019. The survey groups were chosen to be representative of the mobile-internet-using population in the region. We set quotas on age, gender and geographical spread to that effect. There was a minimum of 1000 respondents per country, and 3000 in the region.
Key Questions Answered in this Report
- How well do operators perform as smartphone sales channels, and how does their performance relate to consumers’ choice of tariffs?
- What are the mobile data usage patterns among respondents, and how does data pricing affect these patterns?
- What impact does 4G have on mobile users’ spend and engagement with their smartphones?
- What is the level of awareness of 5G technology, and to what extent are customers willing to pay for the new 5G use cases?
Who Should Read this Report
- Operator-based strategy executives and marketing managers who are interested in understanding consumer market trends, the role of operators as smartphone distribution channels and the impact of differing approaches to pricing in the market.
- Market intelligence and research executives in service providers that are responsible for understanding end-user trends and supporting business units in identifying and addressing new opportunities.
- Equipment/device manufacturers and software providers that want to identify end-user trends in service and device usage and help their operator customers to improve their ability to address market opportunities.