The healthcare personal protective equipment (PPE) industry has witnessed unprecedented global demand for its products during the COVID-19 pandemic. Government stockpiles in some countries quickly proved inadequate as healthcare facilities became overwhelmed with patients. Healthcare PPE demand has gone beyond available inventories for most products, with order backlogs ranging from 6 to 12 months creating bottlenecks for manufacturers.
Face masks and gloves accounted for the lion’s share of market revenue in 2019, and this will remain the case in 2020. The analyst projects revenue for surgical masks and exam gloves to witness faster growth because of the surge in use. Higher demand for coveralls/gowns and goggles/face shields will boost revenue globally, but much will depend on the capability of the supply chain to meet this demand.
Major healthcare PPE manufacturers have ramped up production in order to meet the growing demand. Some governments have encouraged or compelled non-traditional manufacturers to help in these efforts; other companies have volunteered. Incidents of counterfeit and substandard PPE products entering the market are on the rise, creating safety concerns among healthcare workers, patients, and other consumers.
Lessons learned from this pandemic will help in preparedness planning for future crises, and present short-and long-term growth opportunities for manufacturers. Governments are promising to build healthcare PPE stockpiles and already are making bulk purchases; some are relaxing policies to allow for non-medical-grade PPE to be used in emergencies. Manufacturers will be under renewed pressure to build domestic production capacities and surge capacities to reduce the dependence on imports. The analyst expects industrial PPE companies to become more active in the healthcare PPE space.
1. Strategic Imperatives
- Strategic Imperatives that Influence the Healthcare PPE Industry
2. COVID-19 Fast Facts
- Impact of Lockdowns on Key Industries
- COVID-19’s Expected Economic Effects in 2 Scenarios
3. Growth Opportunity Analysis
- Healthcare PPE Market Growth Metrics and Segment Breakdown
- Growth Environment
- Market Share by Product Segment
- Healthcare PPE Industry Trends
- Blurring of Industry Lines and Increasing Competition
- Surgical Mask/N95 Respirator Segment Overview
- Surgical Mask/N95 Respirator Overview
- Surgical Mask/N95 Respirator Segment Discussion and Prominent Participant Activities
- Surgical Glove/Examination Glove Segment Overview
- Surgical Glove/Examination Glove Segment Discussion and Prominent Participant Activities
- Coveralls/Gown Segment Overview
- Coveralls/Gown Segment Discussion and Prominent Participant Activities
- Goggles/Face Shield Segment Overview
- Goggles/Face Shield Segment Discussion and Prominent Participant Activities
4. Growth Opportunity Universe, Healthcare PPE
- Growth Opportunities
- Growth Opportunity 1: Reduce Dependency on Imports of PPE and Focus on Regional Capacity Additions
- Growth Opportunity 2: Collaboration among PPE Value Chain Participants Will Bolster Supplies and Stabilize Growth
5. Growth Pipeline Engine™
- About the Growth Pipeline Engine™
- Take the COVID-19 Growth Pipeline Diagnostic
- Legal Disclaimer