- An overview of how the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the business and economic world
- Highlights of some of the lessons that can be learned from pandemics
- Market positioning and future outlook of the listed companies who have grown the most, changing investment strategies of venture capitalists, and how businesses are pivoting to stay relevant in the current scenario
- A look at the sectoral influences that have contributed to the growth/downfall of the organizations while understanding the ‘new normal’ of the post-COVID-19 world
- Information pertaining to some of the unlisted entities and how they have fared in 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic
In many countries, the global COVID-19 pandemic has brought economic activity to its knees. Countries are struggling to deal with the pandemic and with the economic devastation that it has brought. This report looks at the global economy and how it has performed in 2020. While most organizations would not like to be seen as profiting from the pandemic, the pandemic has helped some organizations grow. It has brought other behemoths to their knees. This report also looks at organizations that have grown the most and organizations that have been hurt the most from the pandemic. Sectoral influences that have contributed to the growth/downfall of organizations are explored while understanding the ‘new normal’ of the post-COVID-19 world. Apart from gainers and losers in the market cap/stock market game, we also look at other entities: Unicorns and the ‘up and comers’ who have attracted attention for doing something right, something wrong or just being in the right place at the right time. The report will also look at changing the investment strategies of VCs in the current scenario and how businesses are pivoting to stay relevant.
What is a Pandemic? What Happens Economically in One?
Have you ever played the board game Pandemic? It is a game in which players collaborate to deal with a disease that has broken out. Or have you played the simple mobile game Plague Inc.? That is a game in which you are in control of a pandemic and are looking to spread it (while learning more about the disease) and the world (played by AI) tries to find a cure or locks down to prevent the spread before the population dies out. While these games provide entertainment and may help us learn how to deal with a pandemic in a closed setting, we know that reality with its dynamic settings is often slightly different. A pandemic fosters doom and gloom. A mysterious, rapidly spreading illness, misinformed panic, lack of medication, and general anxiety loom everywhere. Who to blame? What to do? Where to go? These are usually questions that arise during pandemics.
- What is a Pandemic? What Happens Economically in One?
- What Can be Learned from Pandemics? And Do We Learn?
- Economic Lessons from the 'Spanish Flu'
- Is It Normal or Is There a New Normal?
- What Does the New Normal Bring?
- Global Indicators
- Crude Oil
- How Has COVID 19 Changed Our Economic World?
- So Whose Stock Rose and Whose Fell Globally?
- How Have the Large Caps Fared? The Stocks in Indices?
- The Big Gainers
- The Falling Stocks of 2020
- Other Markets
- How Did the Unlisted Entities Fare in 2020?
- What are the Major Trends That VCs are Seeing?
- Pivoting in Times of Need
- Constant Innovation
- Information Sources
- Analyst's Credentials
- Related Reports
List of Tables
Table 1: The Big 5 Tech Giants, 2020
Table 2: Five Stocks That Grew Over 500%, 2020
Table 3: Large Cap Rally in India, 2020
Table 4: Top Unicorns, by Country
Table 5: Unicorn IPOs, 2020
Table 6: Unicorns Added in July and August 2020
List of Figures
Figure 1: Pandemics Over the Last Two Millennia
Figure 2: Fatalities in Pandemics
Figure 3: The New Normal
Figure 4: The Lost Jobs of the Pandemic, 2020
Figure 5: Crude Prices Per Barrel, 2019-2020
Figure 6: Winners and App Categories of the 'Self-Reliance' Challenge in India
Figure 7: The Five Phases of Pandemic Recovery
Figure 8: Stock Market Performance in 30 Economies One Month Before the Emergency Response Phase
Figure 9: Stock Market Performance in 30 Economies at the Start of the Emergency Response Phase
Figure 10: Third Wave Latin American Economies During COVID-19
Figure 11: Third Wave Asian Economies During COVID-19
Figure 12: Third Wave African Economies During COVID-19
Figure 13: Growth in Retail Accounts at Robinhood, an Online Trading Platform, 2018-2020
Figure 14: Ruchi Soya Stock Trajectory, 2020
Figure 15: Overall Stock Market Winners in Net Market Cap Gain, 2020
Figure 16: The DJIA, 2020
Figure 17: The S&P 500, 2020
Figure 18: The NASDAQ 100, 2020
Figure 19: Overstock's Rally, 2020
Figure 20: Largest Market Cap Losses, 2020
Figure 21: The Chinese Rally Unwinds, 2020
Figure 22: Investments into RIL for its Jio Platform
Figure 23: What is the Jio Platform Ecosystem?
Figure 24: Year-on-Year Comparison of Unicorn Club's Growth, 2015-June 2020
Figure 25: Unicorn Exits Over the Years, 2015-June 2020
Figure 26: Softbank's bets
Figure 27: What Are the Emerging Technologies That Investors Are Looking at?
Figure 28: Who Is Investing in the Soon-to-Be Unicorns in India?
Figure 29: How Long Are Tech Startups Across Various Industries Expecting to Take to Recover in India?
Figure 30: Who Are the Most Innovative Companies Across the World?