This report examines the fast-growing social media and influencer marketing market.
It begins by outlining the main trajectories at work in digital advertising, and how influencer marketing is positioned. It also describes the ecosystem of incumbent players.
The second part analyses how US and Chinese social media giants are positioned, and especially how they are incorporating classic digital advertising and influencer marketing.
Also included is an analysis of the outstanding issues and challenges for these platforms and for advertisers and brands, once again with a particular focus on China.
Rounding it out are spending forecasts for influencer marketing up to 2024 for each of the world’s main regions.
1. Executive Summary
2. Market and trends
2.2. How the advertising market is shifting
2.3. Digital advertising
2.4. Online marketing’s multimodal approach
2.5. Influencer marketing
2.6. The influencers
2.7. Influencer marketing agencies
2.8. Digital marketing in China
3. Social media platforms
3.1. Snapshot of the main platforms
3.6. Snapshot of social media platforms in China
3.8. Sina Weibo
4. Influencer marketing: key issues and challenges
4.1. Influencer marketing challenges for social media platforms
4.2. Impacts of influencer marketing on social media in China
4.3. Influencer marketing’s main targets
4.4. Influencer marketing budgets
4.5. What impact is influencer marketing having on brands in China?
4.6. SWOT analysis
5. Market forecasts
5.1. Impact of Covid-19
5.2. Market forecasts for influencer marketing
List of Tables and Figures
- Regional spending on influencer marketing
Market and trends
- Global social media rankings (social networks and messaging) in Q3 2019
- Top 5 social media platforms in the world, Q2 2019
- Ad spending by segment in Europe, 2012-2022
- OTT companies’ estimated share of the global digital advertising market in 2017 and 2019
- Share of Internet users of the leading social networking in China, Q3 2019
- Traditional* vs. Digital Media: Average Time Spent in China, 2016-2021
Social media platforms
- Snapshot of the main platforms
- Snapshot of social media platforms in China
Influencer marketing: key issues and challenges
- Social media platforms’ ability to monetise influencer marketing
- Social media collaborating with e-commerce platforms
- Percentage of consumers in China who have bought products based on a KOL’s recommendation, by sector
- Marketing budget allocation example for a beauty product
- Change in Cost Per Click by industry - Sept .2019 to March 2020
- Regional progression of paid vs. organic post percentages, January to March 2020
- Regional forecasts for spending on influencer marketing
- Influencer marketing’s share of the display advertising market’s spending