Secure Wavelength Services Demand Creates New Growth Opportunities
This research study examines the US market for wavelength services from 2019 to 2025. The revenue analysis in the study is separated into retail (sales to enterprises) and wholesale (sales to communication service providers, system integrators, content providers, cloud service providers, and resellers), with additional breakouts by transport length and speed.
Wavelength services in this study include all native wave services:
2.5 Gbps and 10 Gbps, and 1 GigE, 10GE, and 100GE Ethernet services offered over waves. Most service providers in the US market offer transparent wave services, where the service is protocol-independent, allowing customers to run any protocol over the waves. Protocols that are typically run on native wavelength services are Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON), Fiber Connection (FICON), Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI), Fiber Channel, Digital Video, GigE, 10 Gbps LAN PHY and WAN PHY, and Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET) OC-48 and OC-192. Some service providers categorize their wave services depending on the application that is being run on the waves.
The wavelength services market will continue to witness single-digit growth rates throughout the forecast period because of exponential bandwidth demand from wholesale and retail customers. Ethernet over waves (EoW) continues to influence the market growth, with almost all service providers interviewed for the study confirming that the majority of their sales in the past year have been for EoW circuit, versus native or transparent waves.
Cloud service providers represent a growing segment of opportunity for wavelength services, especially the 10GE and 100GE speeds. The industry is divided on where to include this customer segment (whether as wholesale or retail), since cloud service providers buy like wholesale customers in terms of volumes but behave like a retail or business customer in terms of the high-touch sales process. In this report, revenue from cloud service providers are included in the wholesale segment.
The publisher conducted detailed primary interviews with leading communication service providers, analyzed their quarterly and annual reports, and utilized internal databases to perform detailed revenue analysis on the wavelength services market. The resulting revenue size reflects a sum of the estimates for individual companies.
Table of Contents
- Why is it Increasingly Difficult to Grow?
- The Strategic Imperative 8™
- The Impact of the Top Three Strategic Imperatives on the Wavelength Services Market
- Growth Opportunities Fuel the Growth Pipeline Engine™
- Key Growth Metrics
- Top 5 Growth Opportunities in the Wavelength Services Market
- Wavelength Services Market Overview
- Wavelength Services Market Segmentation
- Key Competitors in the Wavelength Services Market
- Wavelength Services Market Trends
- Growth Drivers in the Wavelength Services Market
- Growth Restraints in the Wavelength Services Market
- Forecast Considerations
- Revenue Forecast
- Revenue Forecast by Segment
- Revenue Forecast by Transport Length
- Revenue Forecast by Transport Length - Retail
- Revenue Forecast by Transport Length - Wholesale
- Revenue Forecast by Speed
- Revenue Forecast by Speed - Retail
- Revenue Forecast by Speed - Wholesale
- Revenue Forecast Analysis
- Competitive Environment
- Market Share Analysis
- Market Share Analysis - Retail
- Market Share Analysis - Wholesale
- Market Share Analysis
- Companies to Action SWOT Analysis
- Growth Opportunity 1: Vertical Approach for Solution Customization
- Growth Opportunity 2: Hybrid Networking for Digital Transformation
- Growth Opportunity 3: Advanced Encryption for Network Security
- Growth Opportunity 4: Performance Management Solutions for User Control
- Growth Opportunity 5: End-User Education for Wavelength Awareness
- List of Exhibits
- Legal Disclaimer