Mobile network operators (MNOs) are increasingly outsourcing their cell sites to neutral host tower operators, but problems in the relationship often arise because of different approaches to data management and analytics. Towercos have invested far less in these technologies than MNOs, which may limit the value they can bring to the relationship, and restrict their options to expand into new business models such as small cells.
This report provides:
- an overview of the state of data management in the towerco business, based on a unique survey of 48 tower operators and mobile operator tower divisions
- concrete recommendations for ways that towercos could make a strong business case for investment in data management and analytics, with short- and long-term options
- analysis of how that investment would support new opportunities for towercos to extend their model, by moving into new types of sites and assets, or by providing added value services for tenants
- recommendations for MNOs about how to work with towercos in order to establish common frameworks and enhance visibility of the mobile network
- assessment of solutions that are available on the market, and emerging approaches such as machine learning.