This recent report, 17th Annual U.S. Open-Loop Prepaid Cards Market Forecast 2020-2024, Part One reveals some categories will grow under the pressure of COVID-19, while others are under assault.
Predicting the future is always a challenge, and the COVID-19 storm clouds from 2020 onward make the task even more of a crystal-ball exercise.
Nonetheless, for the 17th year, the author has attempted to balance all the forces affecting the prepaid market to produce a picture of the prepaid industry’s future.
This report provides a five-year forecast (to 2024) as well as market estimate of the dollars loaded on open loop prepaid debit card programs in the U.S. market in 2019.
“The Cash Access category covered in this Report includes not only Open-Loop Gift, which will experience growth under the pressure of the virus, but travel, which has nearly imploded,” said Theodore Iacobuzio, VP and General Manager of Research and the author of the report.
Highlights of this report include:
- Growth in the open loop prepaid card category as a whole was positive in 2019, reaching a very healthy 13.6% year-over-year (YOY).
- While the strong economy of 2019 propelled continued growth in many segments, the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on consumer and business spending are expected to be significant beginning with 2020.
- The publisher forecasts that growth in the open loop prepaid loads in the United States will be 4.1% through 2024, reaching a total of $466.2 billion.
- Money and Financial Services are a bright spot in the Cash Access core open loop category. This sector is expected to continue on its growth trajectory, in spite of the challenging market environment, thanks to its use in certain consumer groups and applications.
1. Executive Summary
- A Note on Methodology
- Open Loop Market Load Forecast
- Open Loop Travel Cards
- Money / Financial Services Cards
- Open Loop Gift Cards
- Remittance and P2P
- Related Research
Figure 2: Total Amount Loaded on Open Loop Prepaid Cards in the United States, 2014–2024(f)
Figure 3: Travel Card Segment of U.S. Open Loop Prepaid Market: Forecast Through 2024
Figure 4: Money / Financial Services Segment of U.S. Open Loop Prepaid Market: Forecast Through 2024
Figure 5: Open Loop Gift Cards Segment of U.S. Open Loop Prepaid Market: Forecast Through 2024
Figure 6: Remittance/P2P Card Segment of U.S. Open Loop Prepaid Market: Forecast Through 2024
Figure 7: Cash Access as Segments of Open-Loop Prepaid, 2015-2025
Figure 8: Open Loop U.S. Prepaid Cards: Market Share of Load by Segment, 2019