- Allows the voices of poorly-educated young men to be heard.
- Looks at how the labour market is changing.
- Emphasises the social construction of gender and racial identities.
- Dispels popular myths about the crisis in masculinity.
List of Tables.
1. Introduction: Young, White, Male and Working Class.
2. The Rise of Poor Work: Employment Restructuring and Changing Class and Gender Identities.
3. The Contemporary Crisis Of Masculinity: It's Hard To Be(Come) A Man or The Problem of/for Boys.
4. Living on The Edge: Marginal Lives In Cambridge and Sheffield.
5. Leaving School: Pathways To Employment and Further Education.
6. Actively Seeking Employment: Committed Workers and Reluctant Learners.
7. Uncertain Transitions: Accidental and Incidental Workers, The Excluded and Escape Attempts.
8. Performing Identity: Protest and Domestic Masculinities.
9. Conclusions: What Is To Be Done About Boys?
Appendix 1: Research Methodology.
Appendix 2: The Participants.