- Examines ethical issues in sports, such as sportsmanship, violence, cheating, drug use, racism, sexism, and gender equity.
- Includes essays by psychologists, sociologists, coaches, and sports writers.
- Gives the reader an understanding of the moral significance of sport, and how sports affect society.
Foreword by Dean Smith.
Introduction – The Moral Significance of Sport: Jan Boxill..
Part I: Sport and Education:.
1. Sports, Relativism, and Moral Education: Robert L. Simon.
2. Why Everyone Deserves a Sporting Chance: Education, Justice, and School Sports: Janice Moulton.
3. Moral Development and Sport: Character and Cognitive Developmentalism Contrasted: Carwyn Jones and Michael McNamee.
4. Philosopher in the Playground: Notes on the Meaning of Sport: Peter Heinegg.
5. Foul Play: Sports Metaphors as Public Doublespeak: Francine Hardaway.
Part II: Sport and Sportsmanship:.
6. Sportsmanship as a Moral Category: James W. Keating.
7. Three Approaches Toward an Understanding of Sportsmanship: Peter J. Arnold.
8. Deception, Sportsmanship, and Ethics: Kathleen M. Pearson.
9. On Sportsmanship and “Running up the Score”: Nicholas Dixon.
10. Sportmanship and Blowouts: Baseball and Beyond: Randolph M. Feezell.
Part III: Sport and Competition:.
11. The Ethics of Competition: Jan Boxill.
12. On Winning and Athletic Superiority: Nicholas Dixon.
13. In Defense of Writing: R. Scott Kretchmar.
14. Winding Down, Looking Ahead: Dean Smith.
15. Personal Best: W. M. Brown.
16. Fair Play as Respect for the Game: Robert Butcher and Angela Schneider.
Part IV: Sport and Drugs:.
17. Good Competition and Drug-Enhanced Performance: Robert L. Simon.
18. Enhancing Performance in Sports: What is Morally Permissible?: Laura C. Morgan.
19. Sports and Drugs: Are Current Bans Justified?: Michael Lavin.
Part V: Sport and Violence:.
20. What is Sports Violence?: Michael Smith.
21. Values and Violence in Sports Today: The Moral Reasoning Athletes Use in Their Games and in their Lives: Brenda Jo Bredemeier, David L. Shields, Jack C. Horn.
22. Violence and Sports: Robert E. Leach.
Part VI: Sport and Gender:.
23. Sex Equality in Sports: Jane English.
24. Human Equality in Sports: Peter S. Wenz.
25. Gender Equity and Inequity in Athletics: Robert L. Simon.
26. Title IX and Gender Equity: Jan Boxill.
27. Why Women do Better than Men in College Basketball, or “What is Collegiate Sport for, Anyway?”: Nicholas Hunt-Bull.
28. Women, Self-Possession, and Sport: Catharine MacKinnon.
29. Stronger Women: Mariah Burton Nelson.
30, The Sports Closet: Liz Galst.
Part VII: Sport and Racial Issues:.
31. Racial Differences in Sports: What's Ethics Got To Do With It?: Albert Mosely.
32. Race and College Sport: A Long Way to Go: Richard E. Lapchick.
33. Sport and Stereotype: From Role Model to Muhammad Ali: Mike Marqusee.
Part VIII: Sport and Role Models:.
34. Do Celebrated Athletes have Special Responsibilities to be Good Role Models? An Imagined Dialog between Charles Barkley and Karl Malone: Christopher Wellman.
35. Get the Message?: Rick Reilly.