- Provides overview of recent organizational changes in the workplace.
- Analyzes current history and theory of managerial and professional work.
- Includes definitions of key terms, original tables and figures.
List of Tables.
1. Professional and Managerial Work in the 21st Century.
2. Conceptual Background: The Expert Division of Labor and Professional Work.
3. Managers and Managerial Work in the 20th Century.
4. The Neoentrepreneurial Workplace.
5. Theoretical Models of Professional Work.
6. Change in the Organizational Context of Managerial and Professional Work.
7. Interest Diversity and Demographic Diversity Among Professionals.
8. Organizations as Vehicles for Producing Stratification Among Professionals.
9. Conclusion: The Rise of the Postorganizational Workplace.
Additional Readings on Professions.