Developmental Psychology and Youis a lively and accessible introduction to the psychology of human development. The authors, who all have extensive experience in teaching and research, have selected topics that will appeal to new students of this subject and have presented them in a way that demonstrates their relevance to everyday life.
The fully revised second edition includes a new chapter on gender development and gender differences, while the material on adult life and growing older has been expanded. Key concepts are highlighted throughout, and each chapter contains objectives, exercises, self-assessment questions and recommendations for further reading.
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
Preface and Acknowledgements.
1. What is Developmental Psychology?.
2. First Views of the World.
3. First Relationships.
4. Early Influences and Personality.
5. Playing and Learning.
6. Developing Language.
7. Children's Thinking.
8. Intelligence and Experience.
9. Creativity and Artistic Development.
10. Moral and Social Development.
11. Gender Development and Gender Differences.
12. Childhood Problems.
13. Puberty and Adolescence.
14. Growing Older: Young and Middle Adulthood.
15. Growing Old.
16. Studying Development.
Pamela K. Smythe University of Leicester.
Ann Taylor-Davies University of Leicester.
Alexandra Lamont University of Leicester.
Richard Joiner University of Bath.