- Contains Mill's most famous and influential works, Utilitarianism and On Liberty as well as his important Essay on Bentham.
- Uses the 1871 edition of Utilitarianism, the last to be published in Mill's lifetime.
- Includes selections from Bentham and John Austin, the two thinkers who most influenced Mill.
- Introduction written by Mary Warnock, a highly respected figure in 20th-century ethics in her own right.
- Provides an extensive, up-to-date bibliography with the best scholarship on Mill, Bentham and Utilitarianism.
Introduction by Mary Warnock 1
An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation (chapters I–V) 17
Bentham (from Dissertations and Discussions, volume I) 52
On Liberty 88
The Province of Jurisprudence Determined. Lecture II 236
Chronological table 255