This book makes his most important writings available in a single volume. It includes selections from the entire range of his work, from his early writings on consumer culture and the political economy of the sign to his more recent work on desire, simulation and the 'hyperreal'.
This new edition includes five new extracts from Baudrillard's writings in the 1990s, including his writings on the Gulf War, on the internet and his autobiographical reflections. It also includes an updated introduction by Mark Poster which provides an extremely lucid overview of Baudrillard's work.
Jean Baudrillard: Selected Writings is an excellent introduction to the thought of one of the most important and influential thinkers of our day.
Notes on the Translation.
Introduction: Mark Poster.
1. The System of Objects.
2. Consumer Society.
3. For a Critique of the Political Economy of the Sign.
4. The Mirror of Production.
5. Symbolic Exchange and Death.
6. On Seduction.
7. Simulacra and Simulations.
8. Fatal Strategies.
9. The Masses: The Implosion of the Social in the Media.
10. Cool Memories.
11. The Gulf War Did Not Take Place.
12. The Illusion of the End.
13. The Perfect Crime.
14. Paroxysm: Interviews with Philippe Petit.