- Offers a definition of “misuse” and “addiction” and the factors that influence the nature of misuse or addiction
- Reviews extensively the nature and impact of parental substance misuse on children and families using the latest evidence
- Explores how research and theories might help inform professionals or non-professionals assessing families affected by parents who misuse drugs or alcohol
- Provides an in-depth discussion of Motivational Interviewing, including a critical discussion of the challenges and limitations involved in using it in child and family settings
- Considers the wider implications of the findings for practice and policy and argues that these responses can be used across the field of work with vulnerable children and their families
1 What is 'Substance Misuse'?
2 The Impact of Parental Substance Misuse on Child Welfare.
3 Parental Substance Misuse and Children’s Services.
4 The Social Worker Assessments.
5 What Happened to the Children and Their Parents?
7 What Works in Engaging Parents Who Misuse Drugs or Alcohol?
8 What Works? Substance Misuse Treatment and Evidence-Based Social Work.
9 Motivational Interviewing and Effective Work with Families in which Parents Misuse Drugs and/or Alcohol.
10 Family Interventions with Parental Substance Misuse.