- Covers both substantive areas in medical sociology and regional perspectives located in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and Africa
- First comparative perspective to provide a comprehensive view of the field
Part I: Substantive Topics.
1. Medical Sociology and Sociological Theory: William C. Cockerham.
2. Health and Culture: Stella Quah.
3. The Sociology of the Body: Sarah Nettleton.
4. Health and Social Stratification: Eero Lahelma.
5. Women's Health to a Gender Analysis of Health: Sara Arber and Hilary Thomas.
6. Work Stress and Health: Johannes Siegrist.
7. Migration, Health, and Stress: Judith T. Shuvel.
8. Health Professions and Occupations: Elianne Riska.
9. The Convergence and Divergence of Modern Health Care Systems: Fred Stevens.
Part II: Regional Perspectives.
10. The American Health Care System: Entering the Twenty-first Century with High Risk, Major Challenges, and Great Opportunities: Bernice A. Pescosolido and Carol A. Boyer.
11. The Evolution of Health Care in Canada: Towards Community or Corporate Control?: B. Singh Bolaria and Harley D. Dickinson.
12. Medical Sociology in Mexico: Roberto Castro.
13. Social Science and Health in Brazil: Everardo Duarte Nunes.
14. Medical Sociology in Great Britain: Ellen Annandale and David Field.
15. The French Paradoxes: Kristina Orfali.
16. Medical Sociology in Germany: Olaf von dem Knesbeck and Johannes Siegrist.
17. Society, Health, and Health Care in Sweden: Örjan Hemström.
Russia and Eastern Europe.
18. The Russian Health Care Experiment: Transition of the Health Care System and Rethinking the Sociology of Medicine: Elena Dmitrieva.
19. In and Out of Communism: The Macrosocial Context of Health in Poland: Nina Ostrowska.
20. Transformation of the Health Care System in the Czech Republic – A Sociological Perspective: Hana Janeckova.
21. Health and Health Care in South Africa Against an African Background: H.C.J. van Rensburg and Charles Ngwena.
22. Health, Health Care, and Medical Education in the Arab World: Eugene Gallagher.
23. Health and Health Care in Israel: Ofra Anson.
Asia and the Pacific Region.
24. Medicine and Health Care in Australia: Deborah Lupton.
25. Health, Illness, and Health Policy in Japan: Masahira Anesaki and Tsunetsugu Munakata.
26. The Great Reversal: Transformation of Health Care in the People's Republic of China: Meei-Shia Chen.