- Written for general readers with no background in philosophy.
- Argues that we need a shared moral vision in order to live together, both nationally and internationally.
- Considers the need for a shared morality in relation to subjects of vital importance such as human rights.
- Stresses that private behaviour cannot be kept separate from public choices.
- Discusses matters of topical debate on both sides of the Atlantic.
Chapter 1 What is Natural?.
Chapter 2 Human Nature and Natural Law.
Chapter 3 Human Rights.
Chapter 4 Natural Rights and Law.
Chapter 5 The Rule of Law.
Chapter 6 The Public and the Private.
Chapter 7 Groups and Individuals.
Chapter 8 Patriotism and Nationalism.
Chapter 9 One World: A Global Ethic?.
Chapter 10 Character and Principle.
Chapter 11 Morality and Human Nature.