Asthma is a common chronic lung disease that most often develops during childhood, although it can occur at any age. It is characterized by chronic inflammation and subsequent narrowing of the airways, which obstructs the passage of air through the lungs. Asthma can be persistent or intermittent, and also varies in severity. The treatment of asthma involves a step-wise approach, where the level of therapy increases as the disease severity increases. The realization that asthma is a very heterogeneous disease is highly reflected in the rich assortment of these targeted therapies, of which some are currently in the late-stage pipeline. Triple inhaled therapies are forecasted to grow in patient share over the forecasted period to increase compliance rates amongst moderate to severe asthma patients.
This model covers the market forecast for the marketed and late-stage pipeline asthma therapeutics. The model segments asthma patients by severity. The base year of this model is 2019, and the forecast period is 2020–2029.
- The greatest drivers of growth in the global asthma market include the launch of six new pipeline therapies during the forecast period and an increasing diagnosed prevalence in many 7MM countries.
- The main barriers to growth in the asthma market include high genericization of historical drug classes.
- Late-stage pipeline products in the ICS/LABA/LAMA triple-therapy fixed dose inhalers, CRTH2 antagonists, and ICS/SABA double therapies are emerging as distinct drug classes in the field.
- The most important unmet needs in the asthma market are improved drug compliance and personalized therapy for the most severe patients.
- Which unmet needs are limiting the treatment of asthma in the 7MM?
- What strategies can the pharmaceutical industry employ to increase treatment rates for asthma? How should these strategies differ across different geographical markets?
- What effect will the launch of generics have on the sales of branded agents?
- What are the main R&D trends in the asthma market and which companies are leading the way? Are there major differences in the mechanisms of action used by therapies in late-stage versus early-stage clinical development?
- Overview of asthma including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Topline asthma market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and major pipeline product sales in the forecast period.
- Key topics covered include current treatment and pipeline therapies, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting asthma therapeutics sales in the 7MM.
- Pipeline analysis: Comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global asthma therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies, using a detailed overview of current pipeline products and technologies to identify companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global asthma therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global asthma market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global asthma therapeutics market from 2019-2029.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
1 Table of Contents
1.1 List of Tables
1.2 List of Figures
2 Asthma: Executive Summary
2.1 Asthma Market to Experience Conservative Growth Over the Forecast Period
2.2 GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca Lead the Way
2.3 Unmet Needs Remain Surrounding Asthma Diagnosis and Treatment Options for Severe Patients
2.4 Late-Stage Pipeline Addresses Needs for Personalized and Convenient Medications
2.5 What Do Physicians Think?
3.2 Related Reports
3.3 Upcoming Related Reports
4 Disease Overview
4.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology
4.2 Classification of Disease Severity
5.1 Disease Background
5.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities
5.3 Global and Historical Trends
5.4 Forecast Methodology
5.4.2 Forecast Assumptions and Methods
5.5 Epidemiological Forecast for Asthma (2019-2029)
5.5.1 Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma
5.5.2 Age-Specific Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma
5.5.3 Sex-Specific Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma
5.5.4 Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma by Severity
5.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight
5.6.2 Limitations of Analysis
5.6.3 Strengths of Analysis
6 Disease Management
6.1 Diagnosis and Treatment Overview
6.1.2 Treatment Guidelines and Clinical Practice
7 Competitive Assessment
8 Needs and Opportunity Assessment
8.2 Accurate Diagnosis
8.3 Personalized Therapies for Severe Asthma
8.4 Increased Patient Compliance
8.5 Lower Cost of Therapy
9 Pipeline Assessment
9.2 Promising Drugs in Clinical Development
9.2.1 Thymic Stromal Lymphopoietin Inhibitors
9.2.2 CRTH2 Antagonist
9.2.3 Inhaled Corticosteroid/Long-Acting Beta-Agonist/Long-Acting Muscarinic Antagonist
9.3 Other Drugs in Development
10 Current and Future Players
10.2 Trends in Corporate Strategy
10.8 Boehringer Ingelheim
10.12 AB Science SA
11 Market Outlook
11.1 Global Markets
11.1.2 Drivers and Barriers - Global Issues
11.2.2 Key Events
11.2.3 Drivers and Barriers
11.3.2 Key Events
11.3.3 Drivers and Barriers
11.4.2 Key Events
11.4.3 Drivers and Barriers
List of Tables
Table 1: Asthma: Key Metrics in the 7MM
Table 2: Classification of Asthma by Severity
Table 3: Risk Factors and Comorbidities for Asthma
Table 4: Treatment Guidelines for Asthma across the 7MM
Table 5: Dosing of Common ICSs for Adult Asthma Therapy to Achieve Equivalent Therapeutic Potency
Table 6: Country Profile - US
Table 7: Country Profile - 5EU
Table 8: Country Profile - Japan
Table 9: Leading Treatments for Asthma, 2020
Table 10: AstraZeneca’s Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 11: Novartis’ Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 12: Roche/Genentech Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 13: GlaxoSmithKline’s Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 14: Teva’s Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 15: Boehringer Ingelheim’s Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 16: Merck’s Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 17: Chiesi’s COPD Portfolio Assessment, 2019
Table 18: Regeneron/Sanofi’s Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 19: AB Science Asthma Portfolio Assessment, 2020
Table 20: Asthma Market - Global Drivers and Barriers, 2019-2029
Table 21: Key Events Impacting Sales for Asthma in the US, 2019-2029
Table 22: Asthma Market - Drivers and Barriers in the US, 2019-2029
Table 23: Key Events Impacting Sales for Asthma in the 5EU, 2019-2029
Table 24: Asthma Market - Drivers and Barriers in the 5EU, 2019-2029
Table 25: Key Events Impacting Sales for Asthma in Japan, 2019-2029
Table 26: Asthma Market - Global Drivers and Barriers in Japan, 2019-2029
Table 27: Key Historical and Projected Launch Dates for Asthma
Table 28: Key Historical and Projected Patent Expiry Dates for Asthma
Table 29: High-Prescribing Physicians (non-KOLs) Surveyed, By Country
List of Figures
Figure 1: Global Sales Forecast by Country for Asthma in 2019 and 2029
Figure 2: Analysis of the Company Portfolio Gap in Asthma During the Forecast Period
Figure 3: Competitive Assessment of the Late-Stage Pipeline Agents for Asthma, 2020
Figure 4: Pathophysiology of Asthma
Figure 5: 7MM, Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalence of Asthma (%), Both Sexes, All Ages, 2009-2019
Figure 6: 7MM, Sources Used for Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalence of Asthma (%)
Figure 7: 7MM, Sources Used for Severity of Asthma (%)
Figure 8: Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma, 7MM, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2019
Figure 9: Age-Specific Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma, 7MM, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2019
Figure 10: Sex-Specific Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma, 7MM, All Ages, N, 2019
Figure 11: Lifetime Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Asthma by Severity, 7MM, Both Sexes, All Ages, N, 2019
Figure 12: GINA 2020 Guidelines for the management of Asthma
Figure 13: Unmet Needs and Opportunities in Asthma
Figure 14: Overview of the Development Pipeline in Asthma
Figure 15: Key Phase II/III Asthma Trials Across the 7MM, 2020
Figure 16: Competitive Assessment of the Late-Stage Pipeline Agents
Figure 17: Analysis of the Company Portfolio Gap in Asthma During the Forecast Period
Figure 18: 7MM, Asthma Sales Forecast by Country, 2019 and 2029
Figure 19: US, Asthma Sales Forecast by Class, 2019 and 2029
Figure 20: 5EU, Asthma Sales Forecast by Class, 2019 and 2029
Figure 21: Japan, Asthma Sales Forecast by Class, 2019 and 2029