The Africa Seed Market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.21%
- Largest Segment by Crop Family - Grains & Cereals: It is the largest segment as Africa is one of the largest producers of sorghum globally and rice and wheat are the staple food crops which were grown extensively.
- Largest Segment by Country - South Africa: It is one of the major producers of corn and other cereals in the region. The majority of the corn area is under transgenic corn which contributes more to the market share.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Crop Family - Roots & Bulbs: The fastest growth of the roots and bulbs is associated with the development of true seeds in case of potato and garlic, which is the emerging market in the future.
- Fastest-growing Segment by Country - Tanzania: The increasing demand for commercial seeds in Tanzania is driven by the increasing area under corn and vegetables where the usage of hybrids and commercial seeds is high.
Key Market Trends
Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives is the largest segment by Breeding Technology.
- In 2022, OPVs are likely to have a higher share in the African seed market because growers prefer to use low-cost OPVs as they are easily available at a minimal cost.
- Non-transgenic hybrids accounted for 35% of the total seed market value in 2021. The non-transgenic hybrids' share increased by 5.9% in 2021 from the previous year.
- GMOs are gradually becoming a part of modern agriculture in Africa. Only 5 of 47 countries have approved the cultivation of GMO crops, including South Africa, Burkina Faso, Sudan, Egypt, and Nigeria.
- In an overall transgenic hybrid, herbicide-tolerant accounted for 43.3% of Africa in 2021. South Africa is the only country that allows herbicide-tolerant varieties. Soybean dominated the herbicide-tolerant transgenic seed market in South Africa, with a market share of 86.5% in terms of value, followed by corn (12.7%) and cotton (1%). In Africa, the area under herbicide tolerance was 297,607 ha in 2021.
- In Africa, insect-resistant transgenic hybrids dominated the transgenic seed market by holding 62% of the market share value in 2021. South Africa had the largest insect-resistant transgenic seed market, with a market share of 92%. Egypt (6.8%), Nigeria, Ethiopia, and Rest of Africa accounted for 1.1% of the insect transgenic seed market in the African region in 2021.
- Out of the total seed market in Africa, the open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives seed market in 2021 accounted for 55% in terms of consumption value. The area under open-pollinated varieties and hybrid derivatives in Africa in 2021 was 30 million ha, an increase of 8.1% since 2016 because of the low cost and usage of seeds for the next season.
South Africa is the largest segment by Country.
- In 2021, Africa accounted for a 3.5% share value of the global seed market. Row crops held the largest share in Africa, accounting for 77% in 2021. The main reason for holding the major share by row crops is increasing consumption with an increasing acreage under cultivation.
- South Africa holds the major market share, which accounts for 51% of Africa's seed market because of the seed availability of new and improved varieties and access to the market, an increase in the cultivation of highly profitable crops such as corn and tomato grown in the country, and adoption of new technology to increase the production of crops. Therefore, it is anticipated that market share will increase during the forecast period in South Africa from 51% in 2021 to 62% in 2028.
- Africa in the protected cultivation segment has a share value of less than 1% of the total seed market because there is no government support for setting up new greenhouse structures and lack of technical support and skills, and limited access to investment funding are major obstacles to the adoption of protected cultivation techniques by African growers.
- The major factor driving the market's growth is increasing the cultivation area under major crops. For instance, the area under cereals increased to 126 million hectares in 2020 from 123 million hectares in 2016.
- Therefore, the increasing area under cultivation of profitable crops and increasing consumption drive the market's growth.
Competitive LandscapeThe Africa Seed Market is fragmented, with the top five companies occupying 15.67%. The major players in this market are BASF SE, Bayer AG, Groupe Limagrain, Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V. and Syngenta Group (sorted alphabetically).
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & KEY FINDINGS
2 REPORT OFFERS
3.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
3.2 Scope of the Study
3.3 Research Methodology
4 KEY INDUSTRY TRENDS
4.1 Area Under Cultivation
4.2 Most Popular Traits
4.3 Regulatory Framework
4.4 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Breeding Technology
22.214.171.124 Non-Transgenic Hybrids
126.96.36.199 Transgenic Hybrids
188.8.131.52.1 Herbicide Tolerant
184.108.40.206.2 Insect Resistant
5.1.2 Open Pollinated Varieties & Hybrid Derivatives
5.2 Cultivation Mechanism
5.2.1 Open Field
5.2.2 Protected Cultivation
5.3 Crop Type
5.3.1 Row Crops
220.127.116.11 Fiber Crops
18.104.22.168.2 Other Fiber Crops
22.214.171.124 Forage Crops
126.96.36.199.2 Forage Corn
188.8.131.52.3 Forage Sorghum
184.108.40.206.4 Other Forage Crops
220.127.116.11 Grains & Cereals
18.104.22.168.5 Other Grains & Cereals
22.214.171.124.1 Canola, Rapeseed & Mustard
126.96.36.199.4 Other Oilseeds
188.8.131.52.3 Cauliflower & Broccoli
184.108.40.206.4 Other Brassicas
220.127.116.11.1 Cucumber & Gherkin
18.104.22.168.2 Pumpkin & Squash
22.214.171.124.3 Other Cucurbits
126.96.36.199 Roots & Bulbs
188.8.131.52.4 Other Roots & Bulbs
184.108.40.206.4 Other Solanaceae
220.127.116.11 Unclassified Vegetables
18.104.22.168.6 Other Unclassified Vegetables
5.4.6 South Africa
5.4.8 Rest Of Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Key Strategic Moves
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Landscape
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Advanta Seeds - UPL
6.4.2 BASF SE
6.4.3 Bayer AG
6.4.4 Corteva Agriscience
6.4.5 Enza Zaden
6.4.6 Groupe Limagrain
6.4.7 Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
6.4.8 Sakata Seeds Corporation
6.4.9 Syngenta Group
6.4.10 Takii and Co.,Ltd.
7 KEY STRATEGIC QUESTIONS FOR SEEDS CEOS
8.1 Global Overview
8.1.2 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
8.1.3 Global Value Chain Analysis
8.1.4 Global Market Size and DROs
8.2 Sources & References
8.3 List of Tables & Figures
8.4 Primary Insights
8.5 Data Pack
8.6 Glossary of Terms
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Advanta Seeds - UPL
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Corteva Agriscience
- Enza Zaden
- Groupe Limagrain
- Rijk Zwaan Zaadteelt en Zaadhandel B.V.
- Sakata Seeds Corporation
- Syngenta Group
- Takii and Co.,Ltd.