- Policies and practices reviewed using specific donor case histories as examples
- Multidisciplinary, multi–national team of editors and contributors, with expertise in ethics, consent, transplantation, microbiology and tissue and cell banking
- Provides a guide to easier and safer practice in referrals, tissue procurement, cord blood collection and decision making in general
This unique book explores a range of issues related to the human impact of tissue and cell donation programmes around the world. It addresses the areas that are of key concern and have profound implications for the donors, recipients and healthcare professionals involved. Focusing on tissue, assisted reproduction and hematopoietic stem cells this book is essential reading for all those working in the field of human transplant donation and those who regulate this field.
1. Histories of Tissue Banking (Naomi Pfeffer).
2. Recruitment for Tissue Donation (Martha W. Anderson and Esteve Trias).
3. The Donor Family Dimension of Tissue and Cell Donation (Robin Cowherd and Jane Pearson).
4. Consent (Annette Rid and Lisa Dinhofer).
5. Gathering Donor History: Ensuring Safe Tissues for Transplant (Blanca Miranda, Alessandro Nanni Costa, Jacinto Sánchez–Ibáñez, and Eliana Porta).
6. The Role of Testing in Determining Suitability of Donors and Tissues (Paolo Grossi and Michael Strong).
7. The Management of Donor Test Results (Patricia Hewitt, Chris Moore, and David M. Smith).
8. Case Studies from Diverse Cultural, Religious, and Economic Situations (Aziz Nather, Li Baoxing, Muhammed Cassim, Hamid Reza Aghayan, Arieh Eldad, and Ján Koller).
9. Facilitating Donation The Role of Key Stakeholders: The Medical Examiner, the Coroner, the Hospital Pathologist, and the Funeral Director (Charles V. Wetli, Diego Ponzin, Christopher Womack, and George McCann).
10. Staff Development and Support in Roles Associated with Deceased Donation (Riva Miller and Pamela Albert).
11. Ethical Issues in Unrelated Cord Blood and Bone Marrow Donation (Sally Gordon, Dorothy E. Vawter, and Jeremy Chapman).
12. Ethical and Consent Issues in the Reproductive Setting: The Case of Egg, Sperm, and Embryo Donation (Sarah Franklin and Sharon R. Kaufman).
13. Clinical Governance in Cell and Tissue Banking (Elaine Swanson, William Randell, and Danielle B. Freedman).
"I found this book to be an exceptional resource that brings insight to many complex areas of interest in tissue and cell donation. It is a ′must have′ for all who work in the area of tissue and cell banking." (Progress in Tranplantation, July 2010)