Port congestion, sky high freight rates and e-commerce trends provided the perfect environment for impressive freight forwarding growth in 2021. The market experienced its fasted expansion rate in a decade, growing by 11.2%. 2022 growth is set to slow to 5.7% as global conditions shift, and new pressures emerge.
So, what’s the future for forwarding in 2022 and beyond?
The Global Freight Forwarding 2022 market report provides an up-to-date view of the freight forwarding landscape, covering market growth rates, the role and importance of digital forwarders and marketplaces, the future for air freight, M&A activity and comparative profiles of leading providers and market entrants.
The report addresses the impact of economic conditions on the market - including the war in Ukraine, ongoing increased freight rates and China’s zero-Covid policy. The report also contains a comprehensive assessment of the digital forwarding landscape & M&A activity.
Use the report to keep ahead of developing market trends, seize opportunities, and to understand the growth trajectory of key logistics markets and potential emerging markets.
This report contains:
- 2021 market sizes & growth rates, 2022 projections & forecasts to 2026 - split by region, air & sea.
- Digital freight forwarding landscape analysis.
- The publisher's 2022 Digital Freight Forwarding & Global Freight Procurement survey findings.
- Examination of M&A activity within the market.
- Analysis of the state, and future of air freight.
- Comparative profiles of the largest freight forwarding companies.
- Analysis of the present & future of freight forwarding.
- How fast is the freight forwarding market forecast to grow by 2026?
- Which regions are experiencing the fastest growth?
- What are the key factors influencing demand, growth, opportunities and challenges?
- What are the key challenges facing digital forwarders and marketplaces?
- What’s the best digitisation strategy for my business?
- What are the latest logistics purchasing behaviour trends and how are contractual relationships changing?
- What are the reasons behind the recent upturn in M&A activity? Are more mega-deals are expected?
- Freight forwarders are experiencing an extraordinary ‘uplift’ in profitability, will this be sustained?
- The global freight forwarding market grew by 11.2% in 2021 and is forecast to grow 5.7% in 2022.
- 2022 growth will be driven by air freight.
- 2026 forecasts are more pessimistic.
- Congestion in the ocean freight market continues to push traditional ocean shippers into the air freight market.
- Ocean freight and port congestion show few signs of improvement.
- Ti’s 2022 Digital Forwarding Survey reveals digital forwarders and booking platforms are used by 81% of surveyed shippers & LSPs.
- To become game-changers, digital forwarders must combine smart technology with operational experience.
- The entrance of shipping lines into the acquisition market has created a new driver of industry consolidation.
Table of Contents
- Evolution of the Global Freight Industry
2.2 Large, Medium and Small
- Domestic Vs International
4.2 Surge of Funding in Digital Freight Forwarding Start-Ups
4.3 the Global Freight Forwarding Digital Landscape
4.4 Digital Freight Forwarding Survey 2022
4.4.1 Sample Characteristics
4.4.2 Usage of Digital Freight Booking Platforms/Marketplaces and Digital Forwarders
4.4.3 Types of Services Used
4.4.4 Digital Forwarders Vs Traditional Forwarders
4.4.5 Growth Potential of Digital Forwarders
5.2 Use of the Spot Market
5.3 Average Contract Length
5.4 Type of Contracts
5.5 Use of Data for Freight Procurement
5.6 Selection of Transportation Partners
5.7 Switching Lsps - What Makes a Shipper Switch?
6.1.1. Global Freight Forwarding Market Size & Growth 2021, 2022 (F) and 2026 (F)
6.2. Overview of Regional Performance
6.3. High-Level Market Development
6.3.1 Demand-Side Contributions to Air and Sea Freight Forwarding Growth
6.3.2 Supply-Side Constraints to Air and Sea Freight Forwarding Growth
6.4 Freight Forwarding Market Size & Growth by Region
6.4.4 North America
6.4.5 South America
6.4.6 Sub-Saharan Africa
7.2 Top 20 Global Air Freight Forwarders by Revenue and Market Share
7.3 Top 20 Global Air Freight Forwarders by Tonnes and Market Shares
7.4 Top 20 Global Sea Freight Forwarders by Revenue and Market Shares
7.5 Top 20 Global Sea Freight Forwarders by Teus and Market Shares
8.1.3 Operations and Volumes
8.1.4 Mergers, Acquisitions and Investments
8.2 Db Schenker
8.2.3 Air and Ocean Freight Finances
8.2.4 Air Freight Volumes
8.2.5 Sea Freight Volumes
8.3 Dhl Global Forwarding, Freight
8.3.3 Ocean Freight
8.3.4 Air Freight
8.3.5 Mergers and Acquisitions
8.4 Dsv Panalpina
8.4.2 Acquisition of Agility’S Global Integrated Logistics (Gil)
8.4.8 - Outlook
8.5.6 - Technology
8.6 Kerry Logistics
8.6.3 Sea Freight
8.6.4 Air Freight
8.7 Kuehne + Nagel
8.7.3 Sea Logistics
8.7.4 Air Logistics
8.7.5 Mergers and Acquisitions
8.7.7 Strategic Outlook
8.8 Kintetsu World Express
8.8.3 Air Freight
8.8.4 Sea Freight
8.9 Nippon Express
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Bolloré Group
- Db Schenker
- Dhl Global Forwarding, Freight
- Dsv Panalpina
- Kerry Logistics
- Kuehne + Nagel
- Kintetsu World Express
- Nippon Express