- Metal-based packaging materials provide excellent barrier properties and are widely used in food packaging applications. They are used in packages and closures for glass bottles and composite cans. Significant health and product safety concerns of metal packaging comprise migration of bisphenol A, lead, cadmium, mercury, aluminum, iron, nickel, bulging of cans, tin dissolution, blackening, and corrosion.
- Because of their magnetic characteristics, which facilitate better segregation, metal packing materials offer a reduced global warming potential and higher recyclability. The standards of the safety of metal packaging materials are used hugely in the food sector, and the characteristics of their recyclable nature.
- However, supply chain bottlenecks and shortage of raw materials dampened a more robust rebound of the industry. Most metals and steel producers have been able to pass on higher commodity prices to their buyers.
- The metal packaging industry has positive and negative impacts on health and the environment. Metal-based packaging provides an excellent barrier to light, gas, and moisture, recyclability, easy conversion into various shapes, ability to withstand high heating temperatures, rigid structure, transportation to long distances, and unique decorating possibilities.
- The COVID has impacted negatively on Germany's packaging industry defies the COVID crisis, and the number of companies in the packaging industry is declining. In 2021, there were 723 establishments in the packaging industry. Also, the Ukraine war hit the German economy, and the impact on inflation, through high energy prices, would also be sustained for a similar period. Russia has suddenly become a significant economic risk. Germany's industry relies on the import of Russian gas sent directly to Germany via pipeline and does not currently possess national terminals for importing liquefied natural gas.
Germany Metal Packaging Market Trends
Growing Packaging Industry In Germany
- Germany's packaging business is known for its extensive use in the food industry. Consumers are increasingly looking for items that provide convenience, protection, and ease of transportation, which drives demand for rigid packaging in food, particularly dairy, meat, and ready-to-eat meals.
- Germany's metal packaging market is anticipated to grow substantially during the upcoming years owing to the rapid shift in lifestyle changes and environmental concerns. The increasing need for frozen food and beverages is also driving the market. Moreover, steel is being popularly used owing to its recyclability.
- The increase in the number of small or single-person households, the demand for convenience through on-the-go packaging and resealability, and the best-before-date recommendation enormously benefit the need for packaging materials used for products, which has boosted the packaging industry in Germany.
- However, aluminum is also gaining popularity owing to the increasing usage of aerosol packaging. Metal can packaging is the safest that protects substances from spillage and contamination due to the rising demand for metal. The growing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages industry is driving the market's growth.
Cans are Expected to Hold a Significant Share
- The need for convenience and portability drives metal packaging in alcoholic beverages. While portion control is making beverage brands offer smaller cans over conventional sizes, the focus on sustainability is driving categories conventionally using PET to use metal can packaging. Also, metal packaging in non-alcoholic beverages is primarily driven by its convenience features, such as small size and eye-catching pack designs to draw consumers' attention.
- Various metals like aluminum, tin plate, tin-free steel, stainless steel, and metal-based packaging material in rigid and semi-rigid forms such as cans, foil wraps, and retort pouches are most commonly used for food packaging applications. A healthy product packaged in an unsustainable packaging option is unlikely to appeal to a large swathe of consumers, so metal continues to be the go-to option, given its ability to more than tick the sustainability box.
- Many new categories utilize metal packaging, with its versatility in terms of forms and sizes. Some of these new products are transforming the landscape as great alternatives for health-conscious consumers. From flavored and enhanced waters to natural tonics, alcohol-free beers, and Ready-to-Drink products (RTD) - all are gaining a foothold.
- The beverage market was continuing to evolve and accelerated due to the COVID pandemic. The industry looked considerably different, with new and exciting drinks concepts breaking through with increasing levels of success - provided they meet the stringent criteria of today's more well-informed consumer base.
- The beverage sector continues to expand and diversify through new and exciting sub-categories. Brands looking to strike the perfect balance in packaging continue to select metal as the best all-around solution. Knowledgeable consumers are demanding far more than simply great-tasting beverages; metal packaging's ability to deliver effortless sustainability, design flexibility, and on-the-go convenience chimes well with the 21st-Century lifestyle. Due to rising demand for healthy beverages, carbonated soft drinks, and fruit and vegetable juices, Germany is projected to impact the metal cans in the market positively.
Germany Metal Packaging Market Competitor AnalysisThe German metal packaging industry is competitive because of the presence of many players running their businesses at national and international levels. The sector is mildly concentrated, with the presence of significant players. Mergers and acquisitions of relevant companies and business units for strategic growth have been a recurring and global trend in the packaging industry.
- In October 2022, Germany-based red metals producer Wieland intended to invest EUR 80 million (USD 79.7 million) in a copper scrap melt shop facility located at its existing Vöhringen, Germany. The addition of approximately 80,000 metric tons of annual recycling capacity “represents a significant next step in the company’s strategy to expand its recycling capabilities worldwide.
Additional benefits of purchasing the report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter Five Forces
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.4.1 Overview of the Global Metal Packaging Market
5.1.1 Growing Packaging Industry In Germany
5.1.2 Convenience and Lower Price Offered by Canned Food
5.2 Market Restrain
5.2.1 Presence Of Alternate Packaging Solutions and Shortage of Raw Material
7.2 By Product Type
7.2.2 Bulk Containers
7.2.3 Shipping Barrels and Drums
7.2.4 Caps and Closures
7.2.5 Other Product Types
7.3 By End-User Vertical
7.3.3 Paints and Chemicals
7.3.5 Other End-users
8.1.1 Ball Corporation
8.1.2 Ardagh group Italy Srl
8.1.3 Trivium Packaging Germany GmbH
8.1.4 HUBER Packaging Group GmbH
8.1.5 Envases Ohringen GmbH
8.1.6 Silgan Closures GmbH
8.1.7 HUBER Packaging Group GmbH
8.1.8 Muller und Bauer GmbH & Co. KG
8.1.10 KLANN Packaging GmbH
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Ball Corporation
- Ardagh group Italy Srl
- Trivium Packaging Germany GmbH
- HUBER Packaging Group GmbH
- Envases Ohringen GmbH
- Silgan Closures GmbH
- HUBER Packaging Group GmbH
- Muller und Bauer GmbH & Co. KG
- KLANN Packaging GmbH