Written and edited by international experts in gastroenterology this up–to–date volume provides a complete review of the basic science behind inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), as well as evidence–based clinical guidance on diagnosis, treatment and long–term management of IBD.
In 50 chapters the authors cover the latest and most promising treatment modalities and the science behind them. There are chapters which cover the advances in the medical and surgical treatment of conditions such as Crohn′s disease and ulcerative colitis, as well as chapters focusing on nutrition, imaging and complementary medicine.
This is an invaluable information resource for all those in the medical team treating patients with IBD. Whether you are a gastroenterologist, gastrointestinal surgeon or GI nurse specialist this book deserves a place in your library.
1. Overview of inflammatory bowel diseases: from bench to bedside and back (Fergus Shanahan, Loren C. Karp, Stephan R. Targan).
2. Heterogeneity of inflammatory bowel diseases (Loren C. Karp, Stephan R. Targan).
3. Epidemiology: the changing faces of Crohn′s disease and ulcerative colitis (Charles Bernstein).
4. Genetics of inflammatory bowel disease (Severine Vermeire, Paul Rutgeerts).
5. Experimental mouse models of inflammatory bowel disease: new insights into pathogenic mechanisms (Charles O. Elson).
6. The normal intestinal mucosa: a state of "controlled" inflammation (Markus Neurath, Raja Atreya).
7. Innate immunity (Maria T. Abreu, Masayuki Fukata, Keith Breglio).
8. Adaptive immunity (novel effector cells/TGF SMAD) (Thomas T. MacDonald, Giovanni Monteleone).
9. The bacterial/epithelial/lymphocyte interface (Richard Blumberg, Robert Hershberg, Sebastian Zeissig).
10. Cytokines and chemokines in mucosal homeostasis (Michel H. Maillard, Scott B. Snapper).
11. Role of the microcirculation in chronic gut inflammation (Matthew B. Grisham, D. Neil Granger, Norman R. Harris, Christopher G. Kevil).
12. Remission, relapse, intestinal healing and repair (Daniel K. Podolsky, Raymond J. Playford).
13. Pathophysiology of inflammatory bowel disease: the bidirectional relationship of gut physiological systems and the mucosal immune system (Stephen Collins, Kenneth Croitoru).
14. Pathogenesis: systemic consequences of intestinal inflammation (Konstantinos A. Papadakis, Leonidas A. Bourikas).
15. Clinical course and complications of ulcerative colitis and ulcerative proctitis (Graham L. Radford–Smith, A.J. Walsh).
16. Clinical features and complications of Crohn′s disease (Bruce Sands).
17. Practical IBD pathology in patient management (Daniel Royston, Bryan Warren).
18. An endoscopist′s perspective of diagnosis: when, where and what? (Simon Lo).
19. Imaging in inflammatory bowel disease: CT and MR enterography, ultrasound, and enteroscop (Edward V. Loftus).
20. New diagnostic approaches (integrating serologics, endoscopy and radiology and genomics) (Marla Dubinsky, Lee A. Denson).
21. Differential diagnosis of colitis (Christina M. Surawicz, Sue C. Eng, Christine Schlenker).
22. Issues related to practice guidelines, reimbursement, drug rationing in the US and Europe (David H. Alpers).
23. Pharmacoeconomic outcomes/disease activity indices/study design (Mark T. Osterman, James D. Lewis, Faten N. Aberra).
24. Muti–site therapeutic modalities for inflammatory bowel diseases: mechanisms of action, combination therapy (Gerhard Rogler).
25. Site specific therapeutics for inflammatory bowel diseases (Finbar McCarthy, Laurence Egan).
26. Therapeutic manipulation of the microbiota in inflammatory bowel disease: antibiotics and probiotics (Fergus Shanahan, John Keohane).
27. Nutrition and inflammatory bowel diseases (Jonathan Rhodes, Keith Leiper, Sarah Rushworth).
28. Medical management of ulcerative colitis (William Sandborn).
29. Surgical management of ulcerative colitis (Victor Fazio, Myles Joyce).
30. Clinical characteristics and management of pouchitis and ileal pouch disorders (Bo Shen).
31. Medical management of Crohn’s disease (Simon Travis).
32. Surgical treatment of Crohn’s disease/perianal Crohn’s disease (Robin McLeod).
33. Management of post–operative prevention of recurrence in Crohn’s disease (Gert Van Assche, Severine Vermeire, Paul Rutgeerts).
34. The molecular pathology of IBD–associated neoplasia and preneoplasia (Steven Itzkowitz, Lea Ann Chen).
35. Dysplasia in inflammatory bowel disease: clinical pathology and current surveillance method (William Connell, Jarrad Wilson).
36. Hepatobiliary diseases in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases (Roger Chapman, Sue Cullen).
37. Articular and ocular complications of inflammatory bowel diseases (Derek Jewell, T.R. Orchard).
38. Cutaneous manifestations of inflammatory bowel diseases (Shane Devlin).
39. Fertility and pregnancy in inflammatory bowel diseases (Uma Mahadevan).
40. Special considerations in pediatric inflammatory bowel diseases (Marc Girardin, Ernest Seidman).
41. Collagenous and lymphocytic colitis (Diarmuid O’Donoghue, Kieran Sheahan).
42. IBD microcirculation and diversion, diverticular and other non–infectious colitides (David Binion, Parvaneh Rafiee).
43. Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (Richard Farrell, Mohammad Azam).
44. Infectious colitis (Michael Farthing).
45. Human immunodeficiency virus and inflammatory bowel diseases (Ian McGowan, Ross Cranston).
46. Bone metabolism and inflammatory bowel disease (Charles Bernstein, William Leslie).
47. Comprehensive approach to patient risk: risks versus benefits of immunomodulators and biologic therapy for IBD (Corey A. Siegel).
48. Complementary medicine (David Rampton, Louise Langmead).
49. Legal pitfalls in treating IBD patients (Seamus O′Mahony).
50. The present and future of research and treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (Stephan R. Targan, Loren C. Karp, Fergus Shanahan).