You'll find a tremendous range of expert advice on every aspect of heavy construction work... including guidance for using RSMeans cost data to prepare highly reliable estimates.
Special benefits of this unique Handbook:
- Explains the business aspects of buying vs. leasing, maintaining, and accounting for equipment.
- Includes a major section on site evaluation and hazardous wastes.
- Provides a comprehensive understanding of heavy construction operations and equipment.
- Explains techniques for hazardous waste site assessment and remediation.
- Provides guidance for analyzing and estimating heavy construction on a unit price basis.
- Explains and illustrates the math of heavy construction with formulas and sample calculations – solutions to a variety of productivity and operational problems.
- Provides a substantial Appendix of productivity and other reference data for estimating and project planning.
- Explains successful management and supervision approaches – including guidance for those who oversee the work.
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
Part I: Estimating, Accounting, and Contract Documents.
Chapter 1: Equipment Accounting.
Chapter 2: Equipment Acquisition Decisions.
Chapter 3: Equipment Maintenance and Repair.
Chapter 4: Heavy Construction Estimating Overview.
Chapter 5: Heavy Construction Law and Contract Documents.
Chapter 6: Plan Reading and Quantity Takeoff: An Overview.
Part II: Bulk Excavation Operations.
Chapter 7: Common Excavation Formulas and Calculations.
Chapter 8: Preparing for Earthwork.
Chapter 9: Earthmoving Methods.
Chapter 10: Compaction Methods, Equipment and Troubleshooting.
Chapter 11: Rockmoving Methods.
Chapter 12: Bunching.
Chapter 13: Mass Diagrams.
Part III: Other Heavy Construction Operations.
Chapter 14: Crushing and Aggregate Manufacture.
Chapter 15: Stabilization of Soils.
Chapter 16: Trenching and Pipes.
Chapter 17: Augered Casings, Jacked Pipe, and Tunnels.
Chapter 18: Concrete and Bituminous Paving, Pavement Rehabilitation.
Chapter 19: Dewatering Cut-off Walls, and Cofferdams.
Chapter 20: Erecting Structural Steel.
Chapter 21: Placing of Vertical Concrete.
Chapter 22: Piles and Piledriving.
Part IV: Equipment.
Chapter 23: Power Fundamentals.
Chapter 24: Tractors, Dozing, and Ripping.
Chapter 25: Scrapers.
Chapter 26: Motor Graders.
Chapter 27: Power Shovels and Off-Road Haulers.
Chapter 28: Front-End Loaders.
Chapter 29: Backhoes, Draglines, Gradalls, and Trenchers.
Chapter 30: Air Compressors.
Chapter 31: Rock Drilling Equipment.
Chapter 32: Crushers and Conveyors.
Chapter 33: Concrete Conveyors and Pumps.
Chapter 34: Water Pumps.
Part V: Hazardous Waste: Site Assessment and Remediation.
Chapter 35: Hazardous Wastes: Site Assessment and Remediation Methods.
Part VI: How To Use Means Heavy Construction Cost Data.
Chapter 36: How to Use Means Cost Data.
Glossary of Terms.