Tax consulting and return preparation is a fast–paced, dynamic industry one that promises high earning potential. In this book, tax advisor Gary Carter shows you just what it takes to become an in–demand tax consultant. You’ll discover how to break into the tax business, even with relatively limited education and training, and build a path to your new career with Carter’s five–step formula for success. Brimming with expert advice from tax professionals and featuring up–to–the–minute coverage of everything from qualifications and employment opportunities to Internet resources, Getting Started in Tax Consulting shows you how to:
- Assess your personality fit for the tax profession
- Formulate your business plan for starting a tax practice
- Find a niche for your tax services
- Choose between a sole proprietorship, a partnership, a C corporation, an S corporation, and a limited liability company
- Set your fees and market your services
- Perform research an essential skill of the tax professional
- Make the IRS your partner and advisor not your adversary
- Start a Web–based tax service
The Role of a Tax Consultant.
Enduring Demand for Tax Services.
Self–Assessment and Education.
Your Business Plan.
Choices for Business Organization.
A Little about Taxes, Permits, and Record–Keeping.
Tax Research and the Tools of the Trade.
Starting and Running a Part–Time Web–Based Tax Service.
Getting to Know the Internal Revenue Service.
Conversations with Six Tax Professionals.
Appendix: Resource Guide.