Radiation processing is widely employed in plastics engineering to enhance the physical properties of polymers, such as chemical resistance, surface properties, mechanical and thermal properties, particle size reduction, melt properties, material compatibility, fire retardation, etc.
Drobny introduces readers to the science of ionizing radiation and its effects on polymers, and explores the technologies available and their current and emerging applications.
The resulting book is a valuable guide for a wide range of plastics engineers employing ionizing radiation for polymer treatment in a range of sectors including packaging, aerospace, defense, medical devices and energy applications. Radiation resistant polymers are also explored.
- Unlock the potential of ionizing radiation in applications such as electron-beam curing and laser joining
- Gain an understanding of the selection and safe use of radiation treatment equipment
- The only detailed guide to ionizing radiation written for the plastics engineering community
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
- Radiation Types and Sources
- Ionizing Radiation
- Gamma Rays
- Electron Beam Radiation
- Ion Beam Radiation
- Fundamentals of Radiation Chemistry
- Effects of radiation on organic materials
- Parameters and Units Used in Ionizing Radiation
- Interaction of Ionizing Radiation with Polymers
- Radiation Induced Reactions
- Surface Modification
- Radiation Resistance of Polymers
- Energy Scavenging
- Radical Scavenging
- Industrial Applications of Ionizing Radiation-Overview
- Ion Implantation
- Surface modification including compatibilization
- Methods of Joining Plastics (Laser, IR etc )
- Toughening of Plastics by Radiation.
- Safety and Hygiene
- New Developments and Trends
Jiri G. Drobny is President of Drobny Polymer Associates, and former Adjunct Faculty of Plastics Engineering at the University of Massachusetts, Lowell. Drobny is an active educator, lecturer, writer, and internationally known consultant. His career spans more than 40 years in the rubber and plastic processing industry, mainly in research and development with senior and executive responsibilities.