Genetically Modified Food Sources reports detailed results of studies on the medical and biological safety of 14 species of genetically modified plant-derived organisms (GMOs). The authors focus on issues in GMO production and world output, specifically the basic legislative regulations of modern biotechnology in the Russian Federation. Also covered are international approaches to the medical and biological assessment of safety and control of the food produced from genetically modified organisms. A special chapter is devoted to the problem of informational coverage of novel biological technologies.
Previously available only in a 2007 Russian-language edition published by the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, this English translation has been completely revised and updated to include the latest developments in regulations and human and animal safety assessment practices.
The book is addressed to a wide community of specialists working in the fields of food science, plant genetics, and food safety as well as medicine and biology. Students and postgraduates focusing on the problems of modern biotechnology and biological safety will find it a valuable guide to these topics.
- Specific assessments of 14 species of genetically modified plant-derived organisms used for food supply
- Addresses the safety assessment requirements to ensure consumer health
- International coverage provides comparative insights into regulation development and application
- Fundamental Concepts of Development of Genetically Engineered Plants
- World Production of Genetically Engineered Crops
- Legislation and Regulation of Production of Sales of Food Derived from Genetically Modified Plants in the Russian Federation
- Principles of Human Health Safety Assessment of Plant GMO used in the Russian Federation
- Human and Animal Safety Assessment of Genetically Modified Plants
- Control System of Food Products Derived from Genetically Modified Organisms of Plant Origin
- Monitoring of Food Products Derived from Genetically Modified Organisms of Plant Origin in the Russian Federation
- Information Service for the Use of Novel Biotechnologies in Food Industry