Collaboratively written by top international experts and established scientists in various fields of agricultural research, this book focuses on the state of food production and sustainability; the problems with degradation of valuable sources of land, water, and air and their effects on food crops; the increasing demand of food resources; and the challenges of food security worldwide. The book provides cutting edge scientific tools and methods of research as well as solid background information that is accessible for those who have a strong interest in agricultural research and development and want to learn more on the challenges facing the global agricultural production systems.
- Provides cutting edge scientific tools and available technologies for research
- Addresses the effects of climate change and the population explosion on food supply and offers solutions to combat them
- Written by a range of experts covering a broad range of agriculture-related disciplines
Section 1: Agricultural biodiversity, organic farming and new crops
1. Functional Agrobiodiversity: The Key to Sustainability?
2. Organic Agriculture
Driving Innovations in Crop Research
3. Guar-an industrial crop from marginal farms
Section 2: Effective management of resources (nutrients and water) and crop modelling
4. Nitrogen use as a component of sustainable crop systems
5. Potential of Management Practices and Amendments for Preventing Nutrient Deficiencies in Field Crops under Organic Cropping Systems
6. Effective management of scarce water resources in the North West India
7. Modelling for Agriculture Sustainability: A Review
Section 3: Molecular, biotechnological and industrial approaches for enhancement of crop production and quality
8. Biotechnological approaches for increasing rice productivity and sustainability: Progress and future outlook
9. Biofortification of staple crops
10. Nutrient focused processing of rice
11. Virus Resistance Breeding in Cool Season Food Legumes: Integrating Traditional and Molecular Approaches
Section 4: Expert advice on policy and developmental aspects
12. Talking agricultural sustainability issues
an interview with Dr Gurdev Khush
13. Economics and politics of Farm Subsidies in India
14. Public-Private Partnership and Policy Reforms for Effective Agricultural Research, Development and Training: A Viewpoint
15. Contract Farming
Dr. Gurbir S. Bhullar is a farming systems experts. In his role as the theme leader for 'sustainable agriculture in the tropics' at the 'Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), Switzerland'. He is leading a Long-Term Farming Systems Comparison (SysCom) Program, comprising a series of LTEs across tropical countries focussed on comparing different farming systems for their agronomic, economic and ecological performance. This offers him first-hand experience and expertise in long-termfarming systems research in context to the contemporary challenges faced by the small holder farming communities, particularly in less-privileged parts of the world. In 2018, these field trials, located in Kenya, India and Bolivia, complete 12 years of their existence.
Bhullar, Navreet K.