The first book of its kind, Orthodontically Driven Corticotomy describes how to apply this innovative technique to orthodontic treatment protocols. More than simply discussing orthodontic applications, the editors demonstrate how corticotomies enhance inter– and multidisciplinary treatments. Different surgical approaches are described, with indications on how to select the most appropriate one, to increase efficiency of orthodontic movement, and minimize the surgical exposure for the patient at the same time. Readers learn how to apply the technique to expand the basal bone, regenerate periodontal tissues, combine corticotomy and anchorage devices, manage partial edentulism, treat impacted teeth, and become more efficient in orthodontic treatment. Surgical steps are demonstrated with more than 650 clinical photographs and 200 illustrations.
- Written by an international team of orthodontists, periodontists, and oral surgeons
- Clinically focused to show corticotomy procedures and discussions about when each is appropriate
- Website with videos demonstrating the procedures
About the companion website xix
1. Corticotomy–facilitated orthodontics: Clarion call or siren song 1Neal C. Murphy, M. Thomas Wilcko, Nabil F. Bissada, Zeev Davidovitch, Donald H. Enlow, and Jesse Dashe
2. Accelerated tooth movement following alveolar corticotomy: Laboratory canine model evidence 41Donald J. Ferguson
3. Corticotomy–facilitated orthodontics: Surgical considerations 59Pushkar Mehra and Hasnain Shinwari
4. Orthodontic applications of alveolus decortication 87Neal C. Murphy
5. Piezocision™: Minimally invasive periodontally accelerated orthodontic tooth movement procedure 119Serge Dibart and Elif I. Keser
6. Orthodontically driven corticotomy: Tissue engineering to enhance the treatment, guided by the orthodontist 145Federico Brugnami and Alfonso Caiazzo
7. Orthodontically driven corticotomy: Tissue engineering to expand the basal bone, modify the periodontal biotype and lowering the risks of orthodontic damage to the periodontium 189Federico Brugnami and Alfonso Caiazzo
8. Orthodontically driven corticotomy: Tissue engineering to enhance adult and multidisciplinary treatment 219Federico Brugnami and Alfonso Caiazzo
9. Treatment efficiency with the use of skeletal anchorage and corticotomy 257Birte Melsen and Cesare Luzi
10. Anterior open–bite treatment through orthodontically driven corticotomy 285Nagwa Helmy El–Mangoury, Helmy Y. Mostafa, and Raweya Y. Mostafa
Dr. Federico Brugnami received his DDS from the University of Rome and his certificate in periodontics at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston, becoming a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology. He is a former clinical instructor at Tufts University and a visiting lecturer at Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Dr. Brugnami was the recipient of the Young Investigator Fellowship of the American Academy of Periodontology in 1996. He has written several publications on bone grafting and regeneration, implants and osteogenic orthodontics, and is an active lecturer at meetings, academic seminars, and private courses internationally. Dr. Brugnami is Wilcodontics certified and is in private practice in Rome, Italy, limited to periodontology, oral implants, and periodontal–orthodontic interdisciplinary management.
Dr. Alfonso Caiazzo received his dental degree at the University of Naples, Italy, and completed the oral and maxillofacial surgery residency program at Tufts University in Boston. He was clinical instructor at the Tufts and did a fellowship in implant dentistry at New York University, New York. He is Visiting Assistant Professor of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in the Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine at Boston University. Dr. Caiazzo is a member of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Vice President of the Italian Society of Oral Surgery and Implant Dentistry (SICOI), Fellow of the European Federation of Oral Surgery Societies (EFOSS), and founding member of the European Society of Dental & Craniofacial Stem Cells (ESDCSC). Dr. Caiazzo is certified in Wilckodontics, and his practice in Salerno, Italy, is limited to oral surgery and implant dentistry.