Food Safety: Past, Present, and Predictions offers a multidisciplinary approach on major food industry regulatory compliance changes that have emerged since the landmark 1993 E.coli outbreak. The book is broad in coverage, providing a look back at 25 years of change in order to better conceptualize the future of effective and sustainable food safety compliance efforts and technologies. Historical case studies and technological developments are written by experts and those who played key roles in events. Topics are explained in a way that not only helps improve industry and consumer awareness, but also offers tools to improve education and communication.
- Provides understanding of the true burden of disease
- Examines industry change over the past 25 years and beyond
- Explains the consumer and industry forces behind FSMA passage and implementation
- Analyzes criticisms of FSMA and the quest for an integrated food safety partnership
- Offers considerations for effective and sustainable use of new technologies, including Blockchain
1. 2018: Past and Present Collide 2. 'Modernization' Started Over A Century Ago 3. 1993: The '9/11' of the Food Industry 4. Changes Brought About after the 1993 Outbreak 5. Selected Cases 6. Legal and Economic Factors Impacting Reform 7. The 2010 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) 8. Implementing an Integrated Food Safety Partnership 9. Predicting the Future of Food Safety 10. Beyond Food Safety
Dr. Detwiler is a leader in both academia and food safety industry. He served in advisory roles with the FDA and with the USDA, having served two terms as an appointed USDA policy advisor. As an Assistant Dean and Professor, he offers expertise in higher education administration and interdisciplinary studies, balancing instruction with collaboration and consultation for industry, government, and NGOs. Member of multiple editorial and advisory boards; frequently invited as speaker and media consultant. He serves on eight (8) advisory groups, has published many articles in magazines and industry newsletters, has been featured in magazines and podcasts, and is frequently being invited to speak at industry conferences/workshops.