This report provides details of the latest joint venture agreements announced in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and diagnostic sectors. Fully up to date, the report provides details of joint venture agreements from 2012.
There is an increasing willingness for parties to enter joint venture deals; such deals enable both parties to benefit from the upside of a big product win, whereas traditional licensing deals forfeit upside for near term upfront, milestone and royalty payments.
Joint venture partnering allow the parties to securitize value and reduce risk, but keep a part of the potential upside should the product reach the market. Event if the licensor does not commercialize the project they can either sell those rights to the licensee partner or another partner for an amount higher than would have been achieved at an earlier stage licensing deal.
Another reason for joint venture deals is the joint origin of a project. Drug development projects often require various scientific and technological novelties that stem from different companies. If both companies contributed to the origination of the project, then both have from the beginning a stake in the project.
The report provides a detailed understanding and analysis of how and why companies enter joint venture deals.
Understanding the flexibility of a prospective partner’s negotiated deals terms provides critical insight into the negotiation process in terms of what you can expect to achieve during the negotiation of terms. Whilst many smaller companies will be seeking details of the payments clauses, the devil is in the detail in terms of how payments are triggered - contract documents provide this insight where press releases and databases do not.
This report contains a comprehensive listing of all joint venture deals announced since 2012 as recorded in the Current Agreements deals and alliances database, including financial terms where available, plus links to online copies of actual joint venture contract documents as submitted to the Securities Exchange Commission by companies and their partners.
Contract documents provide the answers to numerous questions about a prospective partner’s flexibility on a wide range of important issues, many of which will have a significant impact on each party’s ability to derive value from the deal.
The initial chapters of this report provide an orientation of joint venture dealmaking and business activities. Chapter 1 provides an introduction to the report, whilst chapter 2 provides an analysis of the trends in joint venture as well as a discussion on the merits of the type of deal.
Chapter 3 provides an overview of the structure of joint venture deals. The chapter includes numerous case studies to enable understanding of joint venture deals.
Chapter 4 provides a review of the leading Joint venture deals since 2012. Deals are listed by headline value. Where the deal has an agreement contract published at the SEC a link provides online access to the contract via the Current Agreements deals and alliances database.
Chapter 5 provides a comprehensive listing of the top 50 most active Joint venture dealmaker companies. Each deal title links via Current Agreements deals and alliances database to an online version of the full deal record, and where available, the actual contract document, providing easy access to each deal record on demand.
Chapter 6 provides a comprehensive and detailed review of Joint venture deals organized by company A-Z, therapy, technology and industry type signed and announced since 2012 where a contract document is available. Contract documents provide an indepth insight into the actual deal terms agreed between the parties with respect to the Joint venture deal.
The appendices to the report includes a comprehensive listing of all Joint venture deals announced since 2012. Each listing is organized as an appendix by company A-Z, stage of development at signing, therapeutic area and industry type. Each deal title links via hyperlink to an online version of the deal record including, where available, the actual contract document.
The report also includes numerous table and figures that illustrate the trends and activities in Joint venture dealmaking since 2012.
In conclusion, this report provides everything a prospective dealmaker needs to know about Joint venture alliances.
Global Joint Venture Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics 2012-2018 provides the reader with the following key benefits:
- In-depth understanding of joint venture partnering deal trends since 2012
- Analysis of the structure of joint venture agreements with numerous real life case studies
- Comprehensive listing of all joint venture deals since 2012, together with deal terms, value and press release
- Comprehensive access to actual joint venture contracts entered into by the world’s life science companies
- Insight into the terms included in a joint venture agreement, together with real world clause examples
- Understand the key deal terms companies have agreed in previous deals
- Undertake due diligence to assess suitability of your proposed deal terms for partner companies
Global Joint Venture Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics 2012-2018 is intended to provide the reader with an in-depth understanding of the joint venture trends and structure of deals entered into by leading life science companies worldwide.
Global Joint Venture Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics 2012-2018 includes:
- Trends in joint venture dealmaking in the biopharma industry since 2012
- Analysis of joint venture deal structure
- Case studies of real-life joint venture deals
- Comprehensive listing of joint venture deals since 2012
- Access to joint venture contract documents
- The leading joint venture deals by value since 2012
- Most active joint venture dealmakers since 2012
- The leading joint venture partnering resources
- Company A-Z
- Headline value
- Therapeutic area
- Technology type
The Global Joint Venture Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics 2012-2018 report provides comprehensive access to available contract documents for joint venture deals. Analyzing actual contract agreements allows assessment of the following:
- What are the precise rights granted or optioned?
- What is actually granted by the agreement to the partner company?
- What exclusivity is granted?
- What is the payment structure for the deal?
- How do milestone align with clinical stage development phases?
- How are salesand payments audited?
- What is the deal term?
- How are the key terms of the agreement defined?
- How are IPRs handled and owned?
- Who is responsible for commercialization?
- Who is responsible for development, supply, and manufacture?
- How is confidentiality and publication managed?
- How are disputes to be resolved?
- Under what conditions can the deal be terminated?
- What happens when there is a change of ownership?
- What sublicensing and subcontracting provisions have been agreed?
- Which boilerplate clauses does the company insist upon?
- Which boilerplate clauses appear to differ from partner to partner or deal type to deal type?
- Which jurisdiction does the company insist upon for agreement law?
Chapter 1 - Introduction
Chapter 2 - Trends in joint venture partnerships
2.2. Definition of joint venture deals
2.3. Success factors for joint venture partnerships
2.4. When joint venture partnerships can be useful
2.5. Attributes of joint venture partnerships
2.6. Aligning partners to make the joint venture work
2.7. Trends in joint venture partnerships since 2012
2.7.1. Joint venture dealmaking by year, 2012 to 2018
2.7.2. Joint venture dealmaking by stage of development 2012 to 2018
2.7.3. Joint venture dealmaking by industry sector 2012 to 2018
2.7.4. Joint venture dealmaking by therapy area, 2012 to 2018
2.7.5. Joint venture dealmaking by technology type, 2012 to 2018
2.7.6. Joint venture dealmaking by most active company, 2012 to 2018
2.8. The future of joint venture partnerships
Chapter 3 - Overview of joint venture deal structure
3.2. Joint venture agreement structure
3.3. Example joint venture agreements
3.3.1. Case study 1: Agila Specialties - Pfenex
3.3.2. Case study 2: Dance Biopharm - Harmony Asset
Chapter 4 - Leading joint venture deals
4.2. Top joint venture deals by value
Chapter 5 - Top 50 most active active joint venture dealmakers
5.2. Top 50 most active joint venture dealmakers
Chapter 6 - Joint venture deals including contracts directory
6.2. Joint venture deals with contracts 2012 to 2018
Appendix 1 - Joint venture dealmaking by companies A-Z
Appendix 2 - Joint venture dealmaking by industry sector
Appendix 3 - Joint venture dealmaking by stage of development
Appendix 4 - Joint venture dealmaking by therapy area
Appendix 5 - Joint venture dealmaking by technology type
Appendix 6 - Joint venture references
Appendix 7 - Resources
Appendix 8 - Deal type definitions
About the Publisher
Table of Figures
Figure 1: Definition of joint venture
Figure 2: Situations where joint venture partnerships can prove useful
Figure 3: Key components of a joint venture partnership
Figure 4: Issues in implementing joint venture partnership agreements
Figure 5: Trends in joint venture deal announcements, 2012- 2018
Figure 6: Joint venture deals signed at each phase of development, 2012- 2018
Figure 7: Joint venture deals by industry sector, 2012 to 2018
Figure 8: Joint venture deals by therapy area, 2012 to 2018
Figure 9: Joint venture deals by technology type, 2012 to 2018
Figure 10: Top 50 most active joint venture dealmakers, 2012 to 2018
Figure 11: Joint venture shareholder agreements - what should a contract include?
Figure 12: Components of the joint venture deal structure
Figure 13: Top joint venture deals by value since 2012
Figure 14: Most active joint venture dealmakers 2012 to 2018
Figure 15: Online partnering resources
Figure 16: Deal type definitions