Modern submarine optical cables are fueling the global internet backbone, surpassing by far all alternative techniques. This new edition of Undersea Fiber Communication Systems provides a detailed explanation of all technical aspects of undersea communications systems, with an emphasis on the most recent breakthroughs of optical submarine cable technologies. This fully updated new edition is the best resource for demystifying enabling optical technologies, equipment, operations, up to marine installations, and is an essential reference for those in contact with this field.
Each chapter of the book is written by key experts of their domain. The book assembles in a complementary way the contributions of authors from key suppliers acting in the domain, such as Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, NEC, TE-Subcom, Xtera, from consultant and operators such as Axiom, OSI, Orange, and from University and organization references such as TelecomParisTech, and Suboptic.
This has ensured that the overall topics of submarine telecommunications is treated in a quite ecumenical, complete and un-biased approach.
- Features new content on:
- Ultra-long haul submarine transmission technologies for telecommunications- Alternative submarine cable applications, such as scientific or oil and gas - Addresses the development of high-speed networks for multiplying Internet and broadband services with:
- Coherent optical technology for 100Gbit/s channels or above- Wet plant optical networking and configurability - Provides a full overview of the evolution of the field conveys the strategic importance of large undersea projects with:
- Technical and organizational life cycle of a submarine network- Upgrades of amplified submarine cables by coherent technology
2. Historical Overview of Submarine Cable Systems
3. Basics of Digital Cable Communication
4. Optical Amplification
5. Ultralong Haul Submarine Transmission
6. Unrepeatered Transmission
7. New Submarine Cable Applications
8. Architectures of Submarine Systems
9. Submarine systems processing
10. Submarine Fibre
11. Transmission mitigation technologies
12. Submerged plant equipment
13. Cable Technology
14. Submarine line terminal
15. System Planning and Deployment
16. Submarine Cable Upgrades
17. Marine and Maintenance
The editor, José Chesnoy, PhD, is a Submarine Telecom Expert with more than 30 years' experience in the industry. He joined Alcatel's research organization in 1989, and led the advent of amplified submarine cables. After heading the equipment Development of the Submarine and Terrestrial Network Divisions, he was CTO of Alcatel-Lucent Submarine Networks up to 2014. During the course of his technical career, he has been granted more than 50 patents in the field of fiber optics, organized many conference workshops, including the chair of the program committee for SubOptic 2004.