Participants successfully completing the course are able to identify and explain:
- Impact of lead-free materials on the SMT reflow soldering process
- Solder paste specifications and materials considerations
- Reliability, acceptance criteria, cosmetics
- Flux specifications, no-clean fluxes, high solids, water based
- PCBs, surface finish, component lead-finish and packaging, DFM
- Temperature compatibility, Moisture Sensitivity
- Solder joint defects in reflow
- Screen printing alignment, errors, maintenance, stencil design
- Placement accuracy, self-alignment, preventive maintenance
- Process window, heat transfer, heat types, profiles, cooling
- Benefits and indicators for the use of Nitrogen
- Profiling for lead-free, measurement techniques
- Designing experiments, Taguchi orthogonal variable arrays
- Pre-heat, reflow, cool down, use of indicator labels, thermocouples
- Thermal mass and profile, interaction with conveyor speed
- Peak temperature, delta T and TAL
- Cleaning after soldering, cosmetics, ionic residues, inspection standards
- Automated optical, x-ray inspection
- Process monitoring, SMT soldering problems, corrective action
Qualification and Certification Testing
LearnTech® training incorporates interactive learning checks throughout the instructional sequences. Certification tests are criterion-referenced and module-based with feedback on every response for enhanced learning. Administrative access to dates and scores of tests, certifications, and re-certifications is compliant with ISO quality-standards requirements.
This course applies JEDEC Standard JESD97 for Identification of Lead(Pb) Free Assemblies, Components, and Devices.
Using the Course
- This course is designed to allow participants to learn at a convenient time, and at their own pace. You are free to pursue the course when and where you wish. You will require a broadband Internet connection, and a standard Internet browser with flash plugin.
- The course modules are listed in the most logical order for you to follow. However you can take the course modules in any order you wish.
- You are licensed to use this course for one year. This means that even after you have completed the course it is still available for review purposes. In review mode you can arrow forward and back through the course material to quickly locate specific content for reference, review, or further study.
- Course qualification testing is available. In addition, you can re-take any test if you are not satisfied with your initial result.
- Take the course and complete all modules.
- Take the course test.
- Make notes while taking the test to highlight content that proves difficult.
- Review the course with additional study of this difficult content.
- Retake the test to demonstrate your mastery of the content.
Following this process helps you to achieve greater learning and a more accurate test assessment.
The time to complete the course will vary depending on prior knowledge, learning style, and individual differences. The more study and review, the greater the knowledge and understanding, and the higher your mastery test scores. Plan your time accordingly.