The study scope includes core synthetic biology products (e.g., oligonucleotides, synthetic genes, BioBrick parts, delivery plasmids, chassis organisms, synthetic cells, cell-based and cell-free production systems), enabling technologies (e.g., DNA sequencing, DNA synthesis, gene editing, bioinformatics, specialty media) and enabled technologies (e.g., healthcare, industrial chemicals, consumer products, food and beverage, agriculture) that are already commercialized or are forecast to be commercialized through 2026.
Key synthetic biology technologies and products are analyzed to determine present and future market status, as well as forecasted growth from 2021 to 2026. An in-depth discussion of strategic alliances, industry structures, competitive dynamics, patents and market-driving forces is also provided.
The publisher examines the synthetic biology industry by market segment, including DNA sequencing, DNA synthesis, gene editing, synthetic biology foundries and software; as well as the agriculture; consumer products, cosmetics and skin care, food and beverage, healthcare and industrial chemicals enable product sectors.
The role of key strategic alliances and acquisitions from 2018 to 2020 is discussed. Emerging markets, including synthetic genes, synthetic-biology-enabled drugs and vaccines, genome-edited crops and chassis organisms; as well as metabolically engineered factories for producing synthetic fuels and specialty chemicals, are analyzed, and more than 215 companies in these fields are highlighted.
- 30 data tables and 99 additional tables
- An up-to-date review and analysis of the global market for synthetic biology within the life science industry
- Analyses of the global market trends, with data from 2019 to 2021, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2026
- Evaluation and forecast the global synthetic biology market size, forecasted growth trends, and corresponding market share analysis by product type, end-user industry, and region
- Highlights of the current and future market potential for synthetic biology products and technologies, and areas of focus to forecast this market into various segments and sub-segments
- Description of core synthetic biology products, key enabling technologies, and identify commercial opportunities for product development and competitive strategies
- In-depth assessment of the synthetic biology industry structure, competitors review, and intellectual property landscape
- Information on synthetic biology industry M&A deals, development of commercially viable products and technologies, and other strategic alliances within the industry
- Patent review and analysis of patents granted for synthetic biology technologies, liquid biopsy and sequencing, and gene-editing industry
- Detailed profiles of about 185+ companies within synthetic biology industry. Major players include Agilent Technologies Inc., Eurofins Scientific, GenScript, Merck KGaA, Novozymes A/S, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., and Twist Bioscience
What is the estimated value of the Global Synthetic Biology Market?
What is the growth rate of the Global Synthetic Biology Market?
What is the forecasted size of the Global Synthetic Biology Market?
Who are the key companies in the Global Synthetic Biology Market?
Table of Contents
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Reasons for Doing the Study
- Contribution of the Study and for Whom
- What's New in This Update?
- Scope and Format
- Information Sources
- Geographical Breakdown
- Analyst's Credentials
- Synthetic Biology Technologies Covered in this Report
- Value Chain Analysis
- Synthetic Biology Overview
- Development Stage of Synthetic Biology
- Forces Driving the Growth of the Market for Synthetic Biology
- Global Market for Synthetic Biology by End-User Industry
- Product and Technology Life Cycles
- Synthetic Biology Industry
- Impact of COVID-19 on the Global Market for Synthetic Biology
- Synthetic Biology Defined
- Synthetic Biology History
- Unique Commercially Available Synthetic Biology Products
- PROVEN, a Biological Nitrogen Fertilizer for Corn by Pivot Bio
- Paradigm Shift in Biology
- Synthetic Biology Technology Overview
- Enabling Technologies
- DNA-Synthesis and DNA-Sequencing Cost Trends
- DNA-Synthesis Technologies
- Microfluidic Technologies
- Next-Generation Sequencing Technologies
- Gene Editing
- Gene Drives
- Bioinformatics Technologies
- Biologic Components and Integrated Systems Technologies
- Synthetic DNA
- BioBrick Parts
- Minimal Genomes and Chassis Organisms
- Enabled Products
- Pathway Engineering
- Research and Development Applications
- Synthetic Biology and the Microbiome
- Synthetic Biology in Biofuels Feedstocks
- Synthetic Biology Microbiome Initiatives
- Current Governance and Regulations
- U.S. Regulations
- International Regulations
- Enabling Technologies Applications
- Biologic Components and Integrated Systems Applications
- Synthetic Genes
- BioBrick Parts
- Integrated Systems
- Enabled Products Applications
- Industrial Biotechnology Applications
- Agricultural Applications
- Data Storage Applications
- Investment in Synthetic Biology Industry
- Industrial Biotechnology Value Chain
- Industry Structural Forces
- Products and Technology Life Cycle
- Sequencing Instruments Industry
- Long-Read Sequencing Industry
- DNA Synthesis Industry
- Oligos as Therapeutics
- Gene Synthesis Workflow
- Gene Synthesis Value Chain
- Synthetic Gene Market Segments
- Gene-Editing Industry
- Synthetic Biology Organism Design and Foundries Industry
- Software Industry
- Agriculture Industry
- Consumer Products Industry
- Cosmetics and Skin Care Industry
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Healthcare Industry
- Industrial Chemicals Industry
- Cell-Free System Industry
- Industry Acquisitions and Strategic Alliances
- Industry Growth-Driving Forces
- DNA Read, Write and Edit Technologies
- Growing Role of Designer Organisms
- Speeding up of Commercialization Pathways
- Growth in Synthetic Biology Foundries
- Increasing Research and Development Investment by Pharma Companies
- Global Market for Synthetic Biology by End-User Industry
- Research Market
- Healthcare Market
- Industrial Chemicals Market
- Agriculture Market
- Consumer Market
- Food and Beverage Market
- Global Market for Synthetic Biology by Product Type
- Enabling Products Market
- Synthetic Biologic Components Market
- Integrated Systems Market
- Enabled Products Market
- Geographic Markets
- Synthetic Biology Products by Region
- Enabling Products Market by Region
- Core Products Market by Region
- Enabled Products Market by Region
- Foundational Patents
- Synthetic Biology Patent Analysis
- Sequencing-Related Patent Issues
- Gene Editing-Related Patents
- Gene Editing Patents: Sangamo Case Study
- Key Market Players
- AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- AMYRIS INC.
- CODEXIS INC.
- EUROFINS SCIENTIFIC
- GINKGO BIOWORKS
- MERCK KGAA
- NOVOZYMES A/S
- THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC.
- TWIST BIOSCIENCE
- Other Players
- ABEONA THERAPEUTICS LLC
- ACTIVE MOTIF
- AEMETIS INC.
- AGRIVIDA INC.
- AJINOMOTO CO., INC.
- AMBRX INC.
- AMFORA INC.
- ANSA BIOTECHNOLOGIES INC.
- ANTHEIA INC.
- ARBOR BIOTECHNOLOGIES INC.
- ARCADIA BIOSCIENCES INC.
- ARCTURUS THERAPEUTICS INC.
- ARDRA BIO INC.
- ARZEDA CORP.
- ASTRAZENECA PLC
- ATG BIOSYNTHETICS GMBH
- AZARGEN BIOTECHNOLOGIES PTY., LTD.
- AZITRA INC.
- BASF AG
- BAYER AG
- BEAM THERAPEUTICS INC.
- BENSON HILL BIOSYSTEMS INC.
- BIO BASIC INC.
- BIOGEN INC.
- BIOMAX INFORMATICS AG
- BIOMX LTD.
- BIONEER CORP.
- BIO S&T INC.
- BIOSYNTIA APS
- BLUEBIRD BIO INC.
- BOLT THREADS INC.
- BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB CO.
- CALYSTA INC.
- CALYXT INC.
- CARGILL INC.
- CARIBOU BIOSCIENCES INC.
- CRISPR THERAPEUTICS
- CATALOG TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- CELLECTIS SA
- CENTRIENT PHARMACEUTICALS
- CHAIN BIOTECHNOLOGY LTD.
- CIBUS INC.
- C-LECTA GMBH
- CODAGENIX INC.
- COLORIFIX LTD.
- CRONOS GROUP
- CROWN LABORATORIES INC.
- DANAHER CORP.
- DEMURIS LTD.
- DNA SCRIPT
- DOVETAIL GENOMICS LLC
- DOWDUPONT INC.
- EDIGENE INC.
- EDITAS MEDICINE INC.
- ELIGO BIOSCIENCE SAS
- ENDLESS WEST
- ENEVOLV INC.
- EPOCH LIFE SCIENCE INC.
- EVOLVA SA
- EXXONMOBIL CORP.
- G+FLAS LIFE SCIENCES INC.
- GEA ENZYMES
- GELTOR INC.
- GENEMED SYNTHESIS INC.
- GENERAY BIOTECH CO., LTD.
- GENUS PLC
- GEVO INC.
- GILEAD SCIENCES INC.
- GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC
- GLOBAL BIOENERGIES
- GLOWEE- UNREASONABLE GROUP
- GLYCOSBIO FOOD SCIENCES
- GLYCOSYN LLC
- GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER CO.
- HELIXWORKS TECHNOLOGIES LTD.
- HOMOLOGY MEDICINES INC.
- HORIZON DISCOVERY GROUP PLC
- ILLUMINA INC.
- IMPOSSIBLE FOODS INC.
- INDUSTRIAL MICROBES INC.
- INGENZA LTD.
- INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- INSCRIPTA INC.
- INTELLIA THERAPEUTICS INC.
- INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
- JOYN BIO
- KANEKA CORP.
- KWS SAAT SE
- LABGENIUS LTD.
- LATTICE AUTOMATION INC.
- LC SCIENCES
- LCY CHEMICAL CORP.
- LGC GROUP
- LOCUS BIOSCIENCES
- LOGICBIO THERAPEUTICS
- LUMEN BIOSCIENCE
- LYGOS INC.
- MEISSA VACCINES, INC.
- MICROBYRE, INC.
- MICROSOFT CORP.
- MILIS BIO LTD.
- MODERN MEADOW
- MODULAR GENETICS INC.
- MOLECULAR ASSEMBLIES INC.
- MORPHOSYS AG
- MOTIF INGREDIENTS
- NEW ENGLAND BIOLABS
- NOVARTIS PHARMA AG
- NOVOME BIOTECHNOLOGIES INC.
- NOVVI LLC
- NUCELIS LLC
- NUCLERA NUCLEICS LTD.
- OMEGA BIO-TEK INC.
- ORAGENICS INC.
- OXFORD BIOMEDICA PLC
- PAIRWISE PLANTS INC.
- PFIZER INC.
- PHIO PHARMACEUTICALS CORP.
- PHYTOWELT GREEN TECHNOLOGIES GMBH
- PIVOT BIO
- POSEIDA THERAPEUTICS INC.
- PRECISION BIOSCIENCES INC.
- PROKARIUM HOLDINGS LTD.
- PROMEGA CORP.
- PTC THERAPEUTICS INC.
- RECOMBINETICS INC.
- ROQUETTE FRERES
- ROYAL DSM NV
- SANGAMO THERAPEUTICS INC.
- SAREPTA THERAPEUTICS INC.
- SCARAB GENOMICS LLC
- SENTI BIOSCIENCES
- SHINEGENE MOLECULAR BIO-TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- SIGMA ALDRICH CORP.
- SHERLOCK BIOSCIENCES
- SILICOLIFE LDA.
- SOCATI CORP.
- SPIBER INC.
- STRING BIO
- SYNBIO TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- SYNGENTA AG (CHEMCHINA)
- SYNTHEGO CORP.
- SYNLOGIC THERAPEUTICS
- SYNTHACE LTD.
- SYNTHETIC BIOLOGICS INC.
- TAKARA BIO
- TEPHA INC.
- TESELAGEN BIOTECHNOLOGY INC.
- TIERRA BIOSCIENCES
- TRANSCRIPTIC INC.
- TROPIC BIOSCIENCES U.K. LTD.
- TRITON ALGAE INNOVATIONS LTD.
- VEDANTA BIOSCIENCES
- VERSALIS SPA
- VERTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- VIR BIOTECHNOLOGY INC.
- XYPHOS BIOSCIENCES, INC.
- YIELD10 BIOSCIENCES INC.
- ZIOPHARM ONCOLOGY, INC.
- ZYMOCHEM INC.
Table 1 : Report Scope
Table 2 : Synthetic Biology Paradigm
Table 3 : Driving Forces of the Market for Synthetic Biology, 2021-2026
Table 4 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology, by End-User Industry, Through 2026
Table 5 : Synthetic Biology Products and Technology Life Cycle Stage
Table 6 : Synthetic Biology Industry, by Market Segment
Table 7 : Synthetic Biology Definitions
Table 8 : Synthetic Biology History, 1970-2019
Table 9 : Paradigm Shift Caused by Synthetic Biology
Table 10 : Genetic Engineering and Synthetic Biology Comparison
Table 11 : Synthetic Biology Applications, by Technology
Table 12 : Importance of Enabling Technologies
Table 13 : Single Human Genome Sequence Cost, 2001-2021
Table 14 : DNA-Synthesis Costs, 2006-2019
Table 15 : Pros and Cons of Gene-Synthesis Technologies
Table 16 : Importance of Microfluidics Technologies in Synthetic Biology
Table 17 : Next-Generation Sequencing Technologies, by Company, 2019
Table 18 : Gene-Editing Therapeutic Interventions
Table 19 : Gene-Editing Technology Approaches
Table 20 : Comparison of the Major Gene-Editing Technologies
Table 21 : Comparison of CRISPR Enzyme Technology
Table 22 : Gene Drive Modified Organisms Potential Market Applications
Table 23 : Synthetic Biology Bioinformatics Technologies
Table 24 : Comparison of Nucleic Acids, Genes and Genomes
Table 25 : Synthetic DNA Types
Table 26 : Synthetic Genes as Molecular-Biology Tools
Table 27 : Synthetic Genes Versus Traditional Polymerase Chain Reaction Cloning
Table 28 : Mechanism of DNA Constructs
Table 29 : Minimal Genome Key Attributes
Table 30 : Enabled Technologies, by Near-Term Application
Table 31 : Metabolic Engineering for Artemisinic Acid
Table 32 : Research and Development Applications for Synthetic Biology Products
Table 33 : Microbiomes: Approaches of Incorporation of Synthetic Biology
Table 34 : Contribution of Synthetic Biology to Biofuels
Table 35 : Synthetic Biology Initiatives Relating to the Microbiome
Table 36 : Synthetic Biology Biosafety Governance Regulations
Table 37 : Synthetic Biology Products Impacted by Enabling Technologies
Table 38 : Biologic Components and Integrated Systems Near-Term Applications
Table 39 : Synthetic Gene Near-Term Applications, by End User
Table 40 : E Coli as a Chassis Organism
Table 41 : Drug Discovery and Development Applications for Synthetic Biology Products
Table 42 : Gene-Editing Clinical Pipeline, by Company, 2019
Table 43 : CAR-T Cell Alliances and Synthetic Biology Platforms
Table 44 : Industrial Biotechnology Applications
Table 45 : Synthetic Biology Enabled Biofuel Applications
Table 46 : Growth Status of Specialty versus Drop-in Biofuels, 2000–2020
Table 47 : Synthetic Biology Enabled Agriculture and Animal Applications
Table 48 : U.S. and European Approaches to Regulation of Gene-Edited Crops
Table 49 : Synthetic Biology Industry Structural Forces
Table 50 : Synthetic Biology Products and Technology Life Cycle Stages
Table 51 : Advanced Sequencing Industry Company Positioning, 2020
Table 52 : End-to-End Sequencing Approaches
Table 53 : Next Generation Sequencing History
Table 54 : Long-Read Sequencing Industry, by Company, 2020
Table 55 : Nucleic Acid Synthesis Key Competitor Strategies, by Company, 2020
Table 56 : RNA Therapy Segments
Table 57 : RNA Therapies Industry
Table 58 : Gene Synthesis Workflow
Table 59 : Gene Synthesis Market Factors of Differentiation
Table 60 : Gene-Editing Industry, 2020
Table 61 : Regulatory Situation of Gene-Edited Crops, by Country or Region
Table 62 : Clinical-Stage Gene-Editing Industry, 2020
Table 63 : Competitive Platforms: ß-Thalassemia
Table 64 : Competitive Platforms: LCA, 2019
Table 65 : Organism Design and Automation Industry, 2020
Table 66 : Market Focus for Selected Synthetic Biology Software Companies, 2020
Table 67 : Market Segment of Synthetic Biology Agriculture Industry, by Company, 2020
Table 68 : Consumer Products Industry Market Segment, by Company, 2020
Table 69 : Cosmetic and Skin Care Industry, 2020
Table 70 : Food and Beverage Industry, 2020
Table 71 : Synthetic Biology-Based Healthcare Industry, 2020
Table 72 : Microbiome Therapeutic Industry, 2020
Table 73 : Synthetic Biology-Based Industrial Chemicals Industry, 2020
Table 74 : Leading Companies in the Cell-Free Synthetic Biology Industry, 2020
Table 75 : Synthetic Biology Industry Acquisitions, 2018–2021
Table 76 : Strategic Alliances, 2018–2020
Table 77 : Forces Driving Growth in the Market for Synthetic Biology
Table 78 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology in Research End Uses, by Product Type, Through 2026
Table 79 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology in Healthcare End Uses, by Product Type, Through 2026
Table 80 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology in Industrial Chemical End Uses, by Product Type, Through 2026
Table 81 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology in Agricultural End Uses, by Product Type, Through 2026
Table 82 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology in Consumer End Uses, by Product Type, Through 2026
Table 83 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology in Food and Beverage End Uses, by Product Type, Through 2026
Table 84 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology, by Product Type, Through 2026
Table 85 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabling Products, by Type, Through 2026
Table 86 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabling Products, by End-User Industry, Through 2026
Table 87 : Global Market for Synthetic Biologic Components, by Type, Through 2026
Table 88 : Global Market for Synthetic Biologic Components, by End-User Industry, Through 2026
Table 89 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Integrated Systems, by Type, Through 2026
Table 90 : Synthetic Biology Microbe Engineering Workflow
Table 91 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Integrated Systems, by End-User Industry, Through 2026
Table 92 : Biodiesel Fuel Performance Comparison
Table 93 : Artemisinin Drug Production Comparison
Table 94 : Sweetener Product Comparison
Table 95 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabled Products, by End-User Industry, Through 2026
Table 96 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabled Products in Healthcare End-Use, by Segment, Through 2026
Table 97 : Gene-Editing Clinical Pipeline, by Company, 2019
Table 98 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabled Products in Consumer End-Use, by Type, Through 2026
Table 99 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabled Products in Food and Beverage End-Use, by Type, Through 2026
Table 100 : Synthetic Biology-Based Chemical Process Factors
Table 101 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabled Products in Industrial Chemical End-Use, by Type, Through 2026
Table 102 : Advanced Biofuel Growth Factors
Table 103 : Crude Oil Prices, 2011-2020
Table 104 : Strategic Shifts in Biofuels, by Company, 2012–2018
Table 105 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabled Products in Agriculture End-Use, by Type, Through 2026
Table 106 : Mosquito-Control Methods
Table 107 : Aedes Aegypti Initial Markets, 2019
Table 108 : Advantages of Gene Editing for Crop Enhancement
Table 109 : Gene-Edited Crop Market Landscape, 2020
Table 110 : Gene Edited Crops Commercialization Pathway
Table 111 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology, by Region, Through 2026
Table 112 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabling Products, by Region, Through 2026
Table 113 : Global Market for Synthetic Biologic Components, by Region, Through 2026
Table 114 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Integrated Systems, by Region, Through 2026
Table 115 : Global Market for Synthetic Biology Enabled Products, by Region, Through 2026
Table 116 : Patents on Synthetic Biology Technologies
Table 117 : Foundational Patents on Synthetic Biology Technolgies
Table 118 : Synthetic Biology Representative Patent Grouping, by Tier
Table 119 : Patent Description, by Company
Table 120 : Status of Liquid Biopsy and Sequencing-Related Patent Disputes, 2019
Table 121 : CRISPR-Cas9 Patent Groups
Table 122 : CRISPR-Cas9 Patent Licensing Fields, by Company
Table 123 : Sangamo Collaboration Agreements Relating to ZFN Technology
Table 124 : Sangamo Therapeutics Patent Position
Table 125 : Ginkgo Bioworks Engineered-Organism Workflow
Table 126 : Agrivida Technical Approach
Table 127 : Arcturus Therapeutics Inc.: Multiple mRNA Vaccine and Therapeutic Programs in Clinical Development
Table 128 : Gene-Editing Versus Gene-Therapy Approach
Figure 1 : Value Chain Analysis
Figure 2 : Synthetic Biology Value Added Chain
Figure 3 : Evolution of Synthetic Biology from Natural to Artificial Systems
Figure 4 : Conventional Versus Synthetic Biology Approach to Gene Synthesis
Figure 5 : Synthetic Biology Scale
Figure 6 : Conventional DNA-Synthesis Technology Schematic
Figure 7 : Microarrays in DNA Synthesis
Figure 8 : Promoter and Reporter Roles in Synthetic Biology Systems
Figure 9 : Creation of Enabled Products Through Synthetic Biology
Figure 10 : Total Synthetic Biology Funding, 2017–2020
Figure 11 : Industrial Biotechnology Value Chain with Synthetic Biology Leverage Points
Figure 12 : Synthetic Biology Patent Documents Granted, Filed and Published, 2018–2021
Figure 13 : Agilent Technologies: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 14 : Agilent Technologies: Revenue Share, by Segment, 2020
Figure 15 : Agilent Technologies: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 16 : Amyris Inc.: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 17 : Amyris Inc.: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 18 : Codexis Inc.: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 19 : Codexis Inc.: Revenue Share, by Segment, 2020
Figure 20 : Codexis Inc.: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 21 : Eurofins Scientific: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 22 : Eurofins Scientific: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 23 : GenScript: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 24 : GenScript: Revenue Share, by Segment, 2020
Figure 25 : GenScript: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 26 : Merck KGaA: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 27 : Merck KGaA: Revenue Share, by Business Segment, 2020
Figure 28 : Merck KGaA: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 29 : Novozymes A/S: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 30 : Novozymes A/S: Revenue Share, by Business Segment, 2020
Figure 31 : Novozymes A/S: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 32 : Thermo Fisher Scientific: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 33 : Thermo Fisher Scientific: Revenue Share, by Business Segment, 2020
Figure 34 : Thermo Fisher Scientific: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Figure 35 : Twist Bioscience: Annual Revenue, 2018–2020
Figure 36 : Twist Bioscience: Revenue Share, by Products, 2020
Figure 37 : Twist Bioscience: Revenue Share, by Region, 2020
Executive SummaryThe synthetic biology industry is a prime growth opportunity due to several factors. First, many of the applications for synthetic biology have large addressable markets and the penetration rate is still modest; the industry will experience explosive growth as these penetration rates accelerate. Second, development of exciting new technologies is driving innovation within the industry. These technologies include ultra-high-throughput screening platforms for organism design, enzymatic DNA synthesis and novel gene editing platforms. Third, the industry is focusing on value-added products, placing less emphasis on cost-sensitive, commodity products.
Synthetic biology foundries now routinely design, build and test designer organisms capable of producing valuable end products. The workflow includes modifying the genomes of these organisms to produce just the right combination of taste and texture, as for the food industry. Designer organisms in the textile industry help achieve the right combination of strength, flexibility, weight, dimensional variability, and targeted surface and structural modification. High-value synthetic biology end products such as these are forecast to drive significant market growth in this industry.
This report provides in-depth coverage of the dynamic synthetic biology industry, including insights into its component technologies and market segments, as well as its leading participants.
The synthetic biology industry consists of three main sets of technologies and products: enabling, core and enabled. Enabling technologies and products are the engines that drive the development of the synthetic biology industry. Core products and technologies, including standardized DNA parts, synthetic genes and chassis organisms, are the key tools by which cellular factories and systems produce enabled products.
Synthetic biology-enabled products (e.g., pharmaceuticals, chemicals, biofuels, agricultural, textiles, food) have large downstream market potential. Synthetic biology technologies add value in each of these downstream industries. In agriculture, synthetic biology makes it possible to produce crops with desired traits, such as pest resistance or high yields. Synthetic biology allows for the production of foods free of animal products, meeting an emerging consumer need in this industry.
- 20N Labs Inc.
- Abeona Therapeutics LLC
- Active Motif
- Aemetis Inc.
- Agilent Technologies Inc.
- Agrivida Inc.
- Ajinomoto Co. Inc.
- Ambrx Inc.
- Amfora Inc.
- Amyris Inc.
- Ansa Biotechnologies Inc.
- Antheia Inc.
- Arbor Biotechnologies Inc.
- Arcadia Biosciences Inc.
- Arcturus Therapeutics Inc.
- Ardra Bio Inc.
- Arzeda Corp.
- Astrazeneca plc
- Atg Biosynthetics GmbH
- Azargen Biotechnologies Pty. Ltd.
- Azitra Inc.
- Basf AG
- Bayer AG
- Beam Therapeutics Inc.
- Benson Hill Biosystems Inc.
- Bio Basic Inc.
- Bio S&T Inc.
- Biogen Inc.
- Biomax Informatics AG
- Biomx Ltd.
- Bioneer Corp.
- Biosyntia Aps
- Bluebird Bio Inc.
- Bolt Threads Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
- C-Lecta GmbH
- Calysta Inc.
- Calyxt Inc.
- Cargill Inc.
- Caribou Biosciences Inc.
- Catalog Technologies, Inc.
- Cellectis Sa
- Centrient Pharmaceuticals
- Chain Biotechnology Ltd.
- Cibus Inc.
- Codagenix Inc.
- Codexis Inc.
- Colorifix Ltd.
- Crispr Therapeutics
- Cronos Group
- Crown Laboratories Inc.
- Danaher Corp.
- Demuris Ltd.
- Dna Script
- Dovetail Genomics LLC
- Dowdupont Inc.
- Edigene Inc.
- Editas Medicine Inc.
- Eligo Bioscience Sas
- Endless West
- Enevolv Inc.
- Epoch Life Science Inc.
- Eurofins Scientific
- Evolva Sa
- Exxonmobil Corp.
- G+Flas Life Sciences Inc.
- Gea Enzymes
- Geltor Inc.
- Genemed Synthesis Inc.
- Generay Biotech Co. Ltd.
- Genus plc
- Gevo Inc.
- Gilead Sciences Inc.
- Ginkgo Bioworks
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Global Bioenergies
- Glowee- Unreasonable Group
- Glycosbio Food Sciences
- Glycosyn LLC
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
- Helixworks Technologies Ltd.
- Homology Medicines Inc.
- Horizon Discovery Group plc
- Illumina Inc.
- Impossible Foods Inc.
- Industrial Microbes Inc.
- Ingenza Ltd.
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Inscripta Inc.
- Intellia Therapeutics Inc.
- International Business Machines
- Joyn Bio
- Kaneka Corp.
- Kws Saat Se
- Labgenius Ltd.
- Lattice Automation Inc.
- Lc Sciences
- Lcy Chemical Corp.
- Lgc Group
- Locus Biosciences
- Logicbio Therapeutics
- Lumen Bioscience
- Lygos Inc.
- Meissa Vaccines, Inc.
- Merck Kgaa
- Microbyre, Inc.
- Microsoft Corp.
- Milis Bio Ltd.
- Modern Meadow
- Modular Genetics Inc.
- Molecular Assemblies Inc.
- Morphosys AG
- Motif Ingredients
- New England Biolabs
- Novartis Pharma AG
- Novome Biotechnologies Inc.
- Novozymes A/S
- Novvi LLC
- Nucelis LLC
- Nuclera Nucleics Ltd.
- Omega Bio-Tek Inc.
- Oragenics Inc.
- Oxford Biomedica plc
- Pairwise Plants Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Phio Pharmaceuticals Corp.
- Phytowelt Green Technologies GmbH
- Pivot Bio
- Poseida Therapeutics Inc.
- Precision Biosciences Inc.
- Prokarium Holdings Ltd.
- Promega Corp.
- Ptc Therapeutics Inc.
- Recombinetics Inc.
- Roquette Freres
- Royal Dsm Nv
- Sangamo Therapeutics Inc.
- Sarepta Therapeutics Inc.
- Scarab Genomics LLC
- Senti Biosciences
- Sherlock Biosciences
- Shinegene Molecular Bio-Technologies Inc.
- Sigma Aldrich Corp.
- Silicolife Lda.
- Socati Corp.
- Spiber Inc.
- String Bio
- Synbio Technologies Inc.
- Syngenta AG (Chemchina)
- Synlogic Therapeutics
- Synthace Ltd.
- Synthego Corp.
- Synthetic Biologics Inc.
- Takara Bio
- Tepha Inc.
- Teselagen Biotechnology Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Tierra Biosciences
- Transcriptic Inc.
- Triton Algae Innovations Ltd.
- Tropic Biosciences U.K. Ltd.
- Twist Bioscience
- Vedanta Biosciences
- Versalis Spa
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Vir Biotechnology Inc.
- Xyphos Biosciences, Inc.
- Yield10 Biosciences Inc.
- Ziopharm Oncology, Inc.
- Zymochem Inc.