"Cigarettes in Brazil, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Brazil has traditionally been one of the largest cigarette markets in the world although recent price rises have reduced volumes to 54.9 billion pieces in 2016. Brazil ranked fifth in terms of global cigarette consumption at the beginning of the 1990s, but domestic market volume suffered badly from the effects of Brazil's severe economic problems during the early part of that decade and also from the impact of smuggling, with the contraband trade accounting for around a third of total consumption at the start of the decade. Including contraband, counterfeit and other illegal trade, consumption is estimated at 109.8 billion pieces in 2016 with the non-duty paid sector currently expanding once again to account for 50.0% of total sales.
- Production of cigarettes follows a similar pattern to domestic sales with export production no longer a major component of the local industry.
- Output reached a new low of 53.2 billion pieces in 2016, which is 69.3% below 1900 levels. Based on legitimate sales, per capita consumption levels are comparatively low, averaging 267 pieces/year in 2016. The author expects sales of 64 billion pieces by 2024 compared with 54.9 billion pieces in 2016 - an increase of 16.6%.
- Growth could be higher although here increased regulatory actions against smoking are likely to depress sales.
- Per capita consumption of duty paid cigarettes is forecast at 292 pieces in 2026.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings/Labelling Requirements
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 2: Cigarette Consumption Including Non-Duty Paid Sales, 1992-2016
Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 4: Overall Market Structure, 2005-2014, Billion Pieces
Table 5: Overall Market Structure, 2005-2014, % Total Consumption
Table 6: Market Breakdown by Pack Type, 1992-2007, % of Total Market Volume
Table 7: Market Breakdown by Price Sector, 2010 & 2013, %
Table 8: Legitimate Market: Manufacturer Sales, 2000-2016, Billion Pieces
Table 9: Legitimate Market: Manufacturer Market Shares, 2000-2016, % Volume
Table 10: Manufacturer Sales, Total Market, 2004-2016, Billion Pieces
Table 11: Manufacturer Market Shares, Total Market, 2004-2016
Table 12: PMI: Market Share by Price Segment, 2001 & 2013
Table 13: Other Cigarette Suppliers/Brands, 2016
Table 14: Brand Family Shares, 2003-2015
Table 15: Cigarette Imports by Manufacturer and Brand, 2015
Table 16: Added to this are a number of other internal taxes.
Table 17: Industrialized Product Tax, 1999-2011, IPI R$ per 20
Table 18: Industrialised Product Tax, 2011-2015, Ad Valorem & Specific Rate
Table 19: Tax Incidence, 2012, %
Table 20: Minimum Prices, 2012-2015
Table 21: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
Table 22: Current Smokers Aged 18 Years & Over, by Gender & Region, 2013, %
Table 23: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016
Table 24: Cigarette Production by Fiscal Class, 2004-2011
Table 25: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
Table 26: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, % Breakdown
Table 27: Exports of Cigarettes, 1990-2016
Table 28: Exports by Country of Destination, 2005-2016, Million Pieces
Table 29: Exports by Country of Destination, 2005-2016, %
Table 30: Souza Cruz S/A
Table 31: Philip Morris Brazil S/A
Table 32: Consumption Forecasts, 2016-2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology