Samoa has experienced a sharp increase in Internet users in recent years - while in contrast fixed lines have declined. Internet user penetration has reached over 30% and the majority of users are accessing services via mobile broadband. Between 2015 and 2016, the teledensity of mobile broadband subscriptions increased from around 10% to nearly 27%.
In 2017 mobile broadband services are improving for Samoan’s with both the previous launch of a 4G LTE services by Digicel Samoa in 2016 - as well as an LTE-A network by Bluesky Samoa in 2017. The acquisition of Bluesky Samoa by Amalgamated Telecom Holdings (ATH) is expected to be finalised in due course, with formal approval for the sale given approval by the Office of the Regulator in Samoa in July 2017.
Samoa is beginning to address its international capacity issues with a major public-private project underway. Facilitated by the Asian Development Bank (ADB), World Bank (WB) and the Samoan government, it will see high-speed telecom improvements in Samoa via a fibre optic submarine cable which will connect Samoa (Upolu and Savai’i) with the Southern Cross Cable Network in Fiji (Suva). The Tui Samoa cable, as it known, will be co-financed by the ADB, the WB, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) as well as the Samoa Submarine Cable Company (SSCC) which also incorporates other smaller investors. The project is expected to cost around US$49 million and should be available by the end of 2017.
The consensus is that a mix of technologies will be used to service the Pacific region in general going forward, including mobile, satellite as well as fibre-optic submarine cables, and that a coordinated planning approach at the regional level is essential for network resilience, performance, value for money, and extent of coverage.
Key Telecom Parameters: 2013; 2016
Sector: 2013; 2016
Subscribers to telecoms services: (e)
Fixed Broadband Users: 1,238; 2,392
Fixed-line Telephony: 8,332; 7,192
Mobile Phone: 99,887; 134,619
- Samoa has one of the highest levels of mobile phone coverage in the Pacific region. Samoa has over 100% mobile penetration (including multi-SIM ownership) and almost full mobile network coverage based on a mix of 2G and 3G technologies.
- Digicel Samoa is the mobile market leader. Its network covers the entire coastal areas of the country, which is home to about 95% of the population.
- In 2016 Digicel Samoa launched a 4G LTE network in Samoa.
- In 2017 BlueSky Samoa launched its LTE-A services in Samoa.
- There are various submarine cables being planned to serve Samoa which should boost its international capacity and ability to offer better Internet services.
- Singapore start-up Kacific Broadband Satellite is developing a broadband offering for the Pacific region and in 2016 private investors from the US and Australia had contributed around US$22.3 million to the project collectively.
- In May 2016 Digicel Pacific announced it would be working with O3b to upgrade its capacity in Papua New Guinea as well as conduct smaller upgrades for Samoa and Nauru.
1. Executive summary
2. Key statistics
3. Country overview
4. Telecommunications market
4.1 Historical overview
4.2 Market analysis
4.3 Financial budget 2017/2018
5. Regulatory environment
5.1 Historic overview
5.2 Regulatory authority
5.2.1 Office of the Regulator (OOTR)
5.3 Telecom sector liberalisation
5.4 Privatisation of SamoaTel Ltd
6. Fixed network operator in Samoa
6.1 BlueSky Samoa
7. Telecommunications infrastructure
7.1 National telecom network
7.2 International infrastructure
7.2.1 Submarine cables
7.2.2 Satellite broadband
8. Smart infrastructure
9. FIXED broadband market
9.1 Introduction and statistical overview
10. Digital economy
11. Digital media
11.1 On line gaming and gambling
11.2 Newspaper and book publishers
12. Mobile communications
12.1 Market analysis
12.2 Mobile statistics
12.3 Mobile broadband statistics
13. Mobile infrastructure
13.1 Brief intro analogue networks
13.2 Digital networks
13.2.2 4G LTE
13.2.3 4G LTE-A
13.3 Major mobile operators
13.3.1 Digicel Samoa Ltd
13.3.2 BlueSky Samoa (formerly SamoaTel)
14. Mobile content and applications
14.1 m-banking (payments)
15. Mobile handsets
16. Related reports
List of Tables
Table 1 - Country statistics - 2016
Table 2 - Telephone network statistics - 2016
Table 3 - Broadband statistics - 2016
Table 4 - Mobile statistics - 2016
Table 5 - National telecommunications authorities
Table 6 - Evolution of GDP in Samoa - 2011 - 2016
Table 7 - Fixed lines in service and teledensity - 2010 - 2016
Table 8 - Internet users and user penetration rate - 2000 - 2017
Table 9 - Fixed broadband subscribers and penetration - 2009 - 2016
Table 10 - Historic mobile subscribers and penetration - 2001 - 2007
Table 11 - Mobile subscribers and penetration - 2012 - 2017
Table 12 - Mobile broadband subscriptions - 2013 - 2016
List of Exhibits
Exhibit 1 - BlueSky Samoa at a glance
Exhibit 2 - The start of the internet in Samoa