Germany has the second lowest unemployment rate in the EU, behind the Czech Republic. In 2016 the unemployment rate in the country was 4.3%, which is its lowest rate since 1991. By 2021, another 2.8 Million people will be in employment - though many will be in part-time jobs. Rising employment and increasing wages strengthen consumer confidence, and with more disposable income, consumers have more to spend in retail and an increased willingness to spend.
Furthermore, Germany has the lowest youth unemployment in the EU (though young people also have a low share of the overall population). High employment is positive news for the retail sector as people of this age group are prime consumers who save less and spend more on fashion, technology, and entertainment products. In addition, having a sizeable number of women in the workforce also boosts retail sales.
Online retail sales in the country have recorded strong growth, at a CAGR of 13.7% between 2011 and 2016. The channel is forecast to reach €74.5 Billion by 2021. The growing number of online consumers who shop via mobiles and smart phones are a major factor in current growth. According to a BurdaForward report in 2016, the use of advanced mobile devices is increasing amongst Germans, and 40% of smart phones users and 57.2% of tablet users have purchased goods or services using these devices. Furthermore, easy returns, fast delivery and low prices are the encouraging Germans to shop online.
Germany’s GDP began to recover in 2014 from the recession that beset many Eurozone countries in 2012 and 2013, but growth, though remaining positive, is forecast to be slow between 2016 and 2021. Germany has a high corporate tax rate, which has discouraged private investment and consumers have a high savings ratio. However, low returns on investment have encouraged consumers to spend rather than save, and lower commodity prices have helped to increase disposable incomes.
The report "Online Retailing in Germany Summary & Forecasts to 2021" provides data for historic and forecast online retail sales, and also includes information on the business environment and country risk related to German online retail environment. In addition, it analyzes the key consumer trends influencing German online retail industry.
In particular, this report provides the following:
- In-depth analysis of the latest trends in online shopping, covering the factors driving online shopping, consumer insights, market dynamics (covering 26 product categories),
- The report also details major online retailers in each category group with their product proposition analysis and market positioning in 2016 along with recent key developments
- Market insights based on online trends, changing economic and demographic factors, technology innovations, and other macroeconomic factors
- Online retail sales and the fastest-growing product categories, which include Clothing, Footwear, Books, News and Stationery, Electrical and Electronics, Food and Grocery, Health and Beauty, Furniture and Floor Coverings, Home and Garden Products, Music, Video and Entertainment Software, Sports and Leisure Equipment, Jewelry, Watches and Accessories, and Luggage and Leather Goods
- Qualitative and quantitative insights of changing retail dynamics in online channel.
- German online retail market is forecasted to grow at a CAGR of 11.0% during 2016-2021
- Increased internet penetration and expansion of online retailers will drive the online sales in Germany
- Clothing & footwear and electricals taking largest share of online sales
- Homewares is the fastest-growing online market in the country
- International retailers gaining ground in online apparel market
- Demand for premium food and grocery rising in the online channel
- Gain comprehensive knowledge on 26 product categories in German online retail market and develop a competitive advantage around consumer behavior trends from the start of your supply chain
- Explore novel opportunities that will allow you to align your product offerings and strategies to meet demand by analyzing the vital economic and population trends, and key consumer and technology trends influencing the online retail market
- Investigate current and forecast online trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit
- Analyze the recommended actions to align your marketing strategies with the crucial online trends influencing consumer behavior
- Understand the fastest-growing categories in the market with insights on the performance of individual product categories online from 2011, with forecasts until 2021.
Drivers and inhibitors
Online retail in Germany
Apparel & accessories
Food & Grocery
Health & Beauty