"United Kingdom: Country Intelligence Report", a new Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in UK today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
The telecom service revenue growth in the UK over 2017-2022 will be driven by mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV segments. Mobile data will be the largest revenue-contributing segment over 2017-2022 driven by rising consumption of online content over mobile devices, inline with rapid proliferation of smartphones, operator focus on expanding 4G services and proposed launch of 5G services by 2020. Going forward, operators will focus on data-centric services and invest in LTE-A, 5G and FTTH deployments to boost broadband penetration in the country, which will provide significant opportunities for vendors and investors in the coming years. Pay TV revenue will witness an increasing trend primarily driven by rising adoption of cable and DTH services.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in UK.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
- Overall telecom service revenue in the UK will grow at a CAGR of 3.2% in terms of US$ (1.5% in local currency) during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 41.5% of total telecom revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of mobile broadband and 4G services.
- 4G will be the most adopted mobile technology over the period 2017-2022. Rising demand for high-speed data services and LTE network expansion will drive subscriber growth. We expect 5G to be commercially available by 2020.
- The top two mobile operators, BT/EE and O2, accounted for 53.7% share of overall mobile subscriptions in 2017. We expect the competition to intensify further as operators are focusing on LTE-A network expansions and offering data-centric services.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the UK’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the author’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the UK’s mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in the UK’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in the UK.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Pay-TV services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- O2 UK
- Vodafone UK
- Sky UK
- Three UK
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Research methodology
- About the authors
- Country Intelligence Report coverage