"Cigarettes in the Dominican Republic, 2017", is an analytical report that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Dominican Republic market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
The market for cigarettes in the Dominican Republic is characterized by long term decline. Rising prices are the main reason, although pre-tax purchasing has led to some increases prior to tax hikes being introduced. As a result of developments duty paid consumption stood down at 1.6 billion pieces in 2015 or 40.1% of its level in 1990. Per capita sales in 2016 were estimated at 151 pieces per year compared with 678 pieces in 1990. The market is dominated by sales of blond, filtered cigarettes in packs of 20, with 10s also available. Both soft packs and hard packs feature. Recent years have been characterized by a trend towards trading down, which has benefited the market-leading Nacional brand at the expense of the higher priced Marlboro, whose share was down to 15.2% in 2011. The impact of a major excise tax hike in January 2008 boosted Nacional's share to 58% by the end of the year with 60.7% recorded for 2011. More recently brands offered by is La Tabacalera have also been performing well as a result of this development.
- The future of the legitimate cigarette market is highly dependent on government taxation and pricing policies, as well as how quickly the economy grows set against a tight fiscal and monetary environment.
- With no FCTC-induced restrictions on smoking forthcoming, the Dominican Republic in theory is one of the more promising regional markets.
- However, recent pressure on prices has fueled contraband and depressed duty paid sales.
- Total duty paid volumes are forecast to remain depressed and end 2026 3.1% below 2016 levels 1.55 billion pieces.
- Per capita consumption is set to drop by 13% between 2016 and 2026 to 131 pieces.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers & Brands
5. Taxation & Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production & Trade
8. Operating constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects & Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
List of Tables
Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 2: Duty Paid & Non Duty Paid Sales, 2009-2016
Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
Table 4: Retail Sales of Cigarettes, 1993-2015
Table 5: Market Breakdown: Blond v Dark Cigarettes, 2000-2015, Million Pieces
Table 6: Market Breakdown: Blond v Dark Cigarettes, 2000-2015, % Volume
Table 7: Market Breakdown: Filter v Plain Cigarettes, 2005-2015, % Volume
Table 8: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2000-2016
Table 9: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, %, 2000-2016
Table 10: Brand Family Shares, 2004-2011, %
Table 11: Cigarette Price Per Pack, 1998-2011
Table 12: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
Table 13: Cigarette Production, 1990-2015
Table 14: Cigarette Imports, 2004-2014
Table 15: Imports by Country of Origin (2007-2015), Million Pieces
Table 16: Imports by Country of Origin (2007-2015), %
Table 17: Exports of Cigarettes, 2000-2009
Table 18: Exports by Country of Destination, Million Pieces, 2007-2015
Table 19: Exports by Country of Destination, %, 2007-2015
Table 20: Company profile: Philip Morris Dominicana SA(1)
Table 21: Company profile: La Tabacalera C por A (formerly Compañia Anonima Tabacalera)
Table 22: Consumption Forecasts to 2026
List of Figures
Figure 1: Methodology
- Philip Morris Dominicana
- Industria de Tabaco Leon Jimenes
- La Tabacalera. BAT
- E Leon Jimenes C par A
- Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana
- Compania Anonima Tabacalera
- La Tabacalera
- Compania Anonima Tabacalera
- RJ Reynolds Inte