Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 23.4% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2017, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (21.4%) and wholesale, retail and hotels (18.4%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 9.7%, 11.9% and 11.5%, respectively, in 2018.
Four major regions of the Philippines generate around 69% of the country’s GDP and comprise 44% of the country’s population, as per the latest available data.
- As per the Logistics Performance Index 2018, the Philippines ranked 60th out of total 160 nations, improving from 71st rank in 2016.
- The government has implemented the “Build Build Build” policy under which the infrastructure spending is expected to reach PHP 9 tn (US$0.2 tn) during 2017-2022
- The overall PSEi index exhibits a downward trend over last year. As of August 1st, 2018 PSEi index stood at 7,838.2, compared to 7,906.6 on August 1st, 2017.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
List of Figures
Exhibit 1: The Philippines’ Performance in Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to Asia Pacific and the World Average
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
Exhibit 4: The Philippines Stock Market Index
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy
Exhibit 6: : FDI Inflows and Outflows (2014-17) and Share of FDI Inflow by Industry (2017) and FDI by Industry (2015-2017)
Exhibit 7: Foreign Investment by Region during (2016-2017) and Share of Foreign Investment by Investing Countries (2017)
Exhibit 8: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 9: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate
Exhibit 10: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017)
Exhibit 11: Export, Import and Trade Balance
Exhibit 12: Current Account Balance
Exhibit 13: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2013-2016
Exhibit 14: Electrical machinery and equipment, % share in world exports, 2017
Exhibit 15: Interest Rates
Exhibit 16: Exchange Rate
Exhibit 17: Public Finance
Exhibit 18: General Government Debt
Exhibit 19: Employment/Unemployment
Exhibit 20: Average Annual Wages
Exhibit 21: Labour Cost Index
Exhibit 22: Rural/Urban Share in Total Population
Exhibit 23: Age-group Share of Total Population
Exhibit 24: Gender Split
Exhibit 25: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2016
Exhibit 26: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015
Exhibit 27: High-technology Exports (% of manufactured exports)
Exhibit 28: Doing Business in The Philippines 2018
Exhibit 29: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017
Exhibit 30: CO2 Emissions