Financial intermediation, real estate and business activities contributed 29.6% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2017, followed by mining, manufacturing and utilities (19.4%), and wholesale, retail and hotels activities (15.2%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 3.1%, 2.4% and 2.2%, respectively, in 2018.
Five major regions of Italy generated around 58% of the country’s GDP and comprised of 51.3% of the country’s population in 2016.
- As per the Global Competitiveness Index 2017-2018, Italy’s infrastructure ranked 43rd out of 137 nations
- More than 80% of foreign investments in Italy were from major European nations in 2016
- The overall FTSE MIB (Milano Indice di Borsa) TR index exhibits a declining trend over the last one year. As of August 7th, 2018 FTSE MIB TR index stood at 2,678.8, compared to 3,133.3 on August 7th, 2017.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
List of Figures
Exhibit 1: Italy’s Performance in the Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to West Europe and the World
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
Exhibit 4: Italy Stock Market Index
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy
Exhibit 6: FDI Inflows, 2014-2017
Exhibit 7: Net FDI Inflows by Sector in USD mn, 2016
Exhibit 8: FDI Inflows Share by Region
Exhibit 9: Top 5 Investing Nations in Italy From Europe, 2014-2016
Exhibit 10: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 11: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate
Exhibit 12: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017)
Exhibit 13: Export, Import and Trade Balance
Exhibit 14: Current Account Balance
Exhibit 15: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2013-2017
Exhibit 16: Nuclear Reactors, Boilers, Machinery, % Share in World’s Total, 2017
Exhibit 17: Interest Rates
Exhibit 18: Exchange Rate
Exhibit 19: Public Finance
Exhibit 20: General Government Debt
Exhibit 21: Employment/Unemployment
Exhibit 22: Average Annual Wages
Exhibit 23: Labour Cost Index
Exhibit 24: Rural/Urban Share of Total Population
Exhibit 25: Age-group Share of Total Population
Exhibit 26: Gender Split
Exhibit 27: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2017
Exhibit 28: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015
Exhibit 29: Business Enterprise R&D Expenditure by Source of Funds, 2012-16
Exhibit 30: Doing Business in Italy 2018
Exhibit 31: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017
Exhibit 32: CO2 Emissions