Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 20.5% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2017, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (20.0%) and wholesale, retail and hotels activities (12.3%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 4.2%, 4.4% and 3.7% respectively, in 2018.
While Calgary emerges as an energy hub of Canada; Toronto and Montreal remain financial centers.
- As per the Global Competitiveness Index 2017-2018, Canada’s infrastructure ranks 16th out of the total 137 nations.
- In 2016, the Canada government allocated US$180 bn in infrastructure fund to be spent over the next twelve years. Till date, over 7,800 projects with investment of over US$32 bn have been approved across Canada.
- Majority of inward FDI was from North America, Europe, and South and Central America in 2017.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
List of Exhibits
Exhibit 1: Canada’s Performance in the Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to North America and the World
Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
Exhibit 4: Canada Stock Market Index
Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy
Exhibit 6: FDI Inflows (2014-17) and Leading FDI Stocks (2013-17) and FDI Stocks by Region 2017
Exhibit 7: Key Infrastructure Indicators
Exhibit 8: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate
Exhibit 9: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017)
Exhibit 10: Export, Import and Trade Balance
Exhibit 11: Current Account Balance
Exhibit 12: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2013-2017
Exhibit 13: Mineral Fuels, Mineral Oils and Products Share in World’s Total, 2017
Exhibit 14: Interest Rates
Exhibit 15: Exchange Rate
Exhibit 16: Public Finance
Exhibit 17: General Government Debt
Exhibit 18: Employment/Unemployment
Exhibit 19: Average Annual Wages
Exhibit 20: Labour Cost Index
Exhibit 21: Rural/Urban Share of Total Population
Exhibit 22: Age-group Share of Total Population
Exhibit 23: Gender Split
Exhibit 24: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2017
Exhibit 25: Number of Patents Granted Per M Inhabitants, 2015
Exhibit 26: Business Enterprise R&D Expenditure by Source of Funds, 2012-16
Exhibit 27: Doing Business in Canada 2018
Exhibit 28: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2017
Exhibit 29: CO2 Emissions