Security and Loss Prevention: An Introduction, Seventh Edition, provides introductory and advanced information on the security profession. Security expert, Phil Purpura, CPP, includes updates on security research, methods, strategies, technologies, laws, issues, statistics and career options, providing a comprehensive and interdisciplinary book that draws on many fields of study for concepts, strategies of protection and research. The book explains the real-world challenges facing security professionals and offers options for planning solutions. Linking physical security with IT security, the book covers internal and external threats to people and assets and private and public sector responses and issues.
As in previous editions, the book maintains an interactive style that includes examples, illustrations, sidebar questions, boxed topics, international perspectives and web exercises. In addition, course instructors can download ancillaries, including an instructor's manual with outlines of chapters, discussion topics/special projects, essay questions, and a test bank and PowerPoint presentation for each chapter.
- Covers topics including Enterprise Security Risk Management, resilience, the insider threat, active assailants, terrorism, spies, the Internet of things, the convergence of physical security with IT security, marijuana legalization, and climate change
- Emphasizes critical thinking as a tool for security and loss prevention professionals who must think smarter as they confront a world filled with many threats such as violence, cyber vulnerabilities, and security itself as a soft target
- Utilizes end-of-chapter problems that relate content to real security situations and issues
- Serves both students and professionals interested in security and loss prevention for a wide variety of operations-industrial, critical infrastructure sectors, retail, healthcare, schools, non-profits, homeland security agencies, criminal justice agencies, and more
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
1. The History of Security and Loss Prevention 2. The Business, Careers, and Challenges of Security and Loss Prevention 3. Foundations of Security and Loss Prevention 4. Law 5. Internal and External Relations 6. Applicant Screening and Employee Socialization 7. Internal Threats and Countermeasures 8. External Threats and Countermeasures 9. Services and Systems 10. Investigations 11. Accounting, Accountability, and Auditing 12. Resilience, Risk Management, Business Continuity, and Emergency Management 13. Life Safety, Fire Protection, and Emergencies 14. Safety in the Workplace 15. Terrorism and Homeland Security 16. Protecting Critical Infrastructure 17. Protecting Commercial and Institutional Critical Infrastructure 18. Topics of Concern 19. Your Future in Security and Loss Prevention
Philip P. Purpura has been a criminal justice educator for more than 20 years. He has directed criminal justice, security, and paralegal programs, and has practical experience as a security consultant, expert witness, security manager, corporate investigator, and police officer. Mr. Purpura is the author of several other textbooks and numerous articles published in newsletters, magazines, and journals.