The food processing industries are the major end users of MSG, who use it for the production of packaged and convenience food products. For instance, MSG is used as a flavor enhancer and food additive for many dishes, such as sauces, baked goods, meat, and milk products and cheeses. Moreover, it is used as an additive in dairy applications, to increase the shelf life and taste of products. MSG is readily available in several names, such as accent, Ajinomoto, and third spice. These varied applications have been driving the MSG market over the years.
MSG is recognized by the European Union under the ‘safe-for-use food additive’ and as ‘GRAS’ (generally recognized as safe) food ingredient by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, its use remains controversial, and thus, the label requires it to be listed. The use of flavor enhancers has been a concern for consumer segments in the West, which is influenced by the fact that these ingredients cause health effects, such as headaches, allergic reactions, and nausea, a condition commonly known as ‘Chinese Restaurant Syndrome’. This controversial image of MSG acts as a restraint for the market’s growth.
The increasing preference of people toward processed and fast foods, owing to hectic lifestyles, is expected to remain a key driving factor for the global MSG market during the forecast period.
Based on application, the monosodium glutamate market can be segmented into noodles, soup, and sauces, seasonings, and condiments and others. The demand for packaged instant foods, particularly Chinese cuisines, requires massive quantities of MSG as an ingredient, with flavor enhancement as the major function.
By end-user industry, the market can be segmented into food processors, food service sectors, and retail sector. Notably, the food service sector accounted for a 30.13% share of the MSG market, in 2017.
Asia-Pacific leads the global MSG market, followed by other countries. Owing to the increasing consumption of processed food, dairy, and other food products, China, India, and Japan drive the demand for MSG in the Asia-Pacific region. North America, Europe, Latin America, and Africa accounted for small share in 2014.
Major Players: AJINOMOTO CO. INC., COFCO (CHINA NATIONAL CEREALS, OILS, AND FOODSTUFFS CORPORATION), EPPENS.CN, FUFENG GROUP, FUJIAN WUYI MS, GLOBAL BIO-CHEM TECHNOLOGY GROUP COMPANY LIMITED, HENAN LOTUS, LOTUS HEALTH INDUSTRY HOLDING GROUP COMPANY, NINGXIA EPPEN and MEIHUA GROUP, amongst others.
The Ajinomoto Company is world’s largest manufacturer of sodium glutamate, with manufacturing sites in Peru, Brazil, Japan, the United States, China, and France among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors that are driving the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative and quantitative research, incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
- Regional and country-level analysis, integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Report Description
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Trends
3. Market Overview
3.1 Market Dynamics
3.1.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
184.108.40.206 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
220.127.116.11 Bargaining Power of Buyers
18.104.22.168 Threat of New Entrants
22.214.171.124 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
126.96.36.199 Degree of Competition
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By End-User
4.1.1 Food Service Sector
4.1.2 Food Processor
4.1.3 Retail Sector
4.2 By Application
4.2.3 Sauces, Seasonings, and Condiments
4.2.4 Other Applications
4.3 By Geography
4.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
4.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Africa
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Strategy Adopted By Key Players
5.2 Most Active Companies in the Past Five Years
5.3 Market Share Analysis
6. Company Profiles
6.1 Ajinomoto Co. Inc.
6.2 Cofco (China National Cereals, Oils, and Foodstuffs Corporation)
6.4 Fufeng Group
6.5 Fujian Wuyi Ms
6.6 Global Bio-Chem Technology Group Company Limited
6.7 Henan Lotus
6.8 Lotus Health Industry Holding Group Company
6.9 Ningxia Eppen
6.10 Meihua Group
- Ajinomoto co. Inc.
- Cofco (China National Cereals
- and Foodstuffs Corporation)
- Fufeng Group
- Fujian Wuyi MS
- Global Bio-Chem Technology Group Company Limited
- Henan Lotus
- Lotus Health Industry Holding Group Company
- Ningxia Eppen
- Meihua Group