Growing Popularity of Collagen-Based Functional Products
The increasing use of collagen as a functional ingredient has been driving its growth. The link between consumption of collagen and the health benefits it provides has led to the establishment of collagen supplements industry. Nowadays, collagen has become a key ingredient in most of the health foods. Collagen productions in the body decrease with age and bad diet. The wide application spectrum of collagen as a food additive has been another driving factor of global collagen market. Collagen has been applied as protein dietary supplements, carriers, food additive, edible film and coatings.
The growing popularity of soy based products, especially in nutricosmetics has been acting as restraint for global collagen market.
The emerging research in collagen based food products and collagen’s role as a carrier of active substances such as antioxidants, antimicrobials, colors and flavors can be a substantial value-addition to growing nutraceuticals and supplements market.
Extensively employed in dietary supplements
Collagen has wide spectrum of applications as food additives right from storage stability of confectionery and dairy products to enhancing processabilty and organoleptic properties of packaged food products. Collagen is extensively employed for dietary supplements owing to the growing health consciousness and wide array of health benefits provided by collagen and its derivative products. Collagen role as tenderizing agent in meat and meat products is gaining popularity. Another important application of collagen is nutricosmetics wherein almost every anti-aging products contains added collagen as a base material promoting the overall health of skin, particularly the dermis.
Animal based collagen is dominating the market by source
The extraction of collagen, particularly bovine and porcine, is commercially feasible. The abundant supply, easy availability and biodegradability also favors the animal-based collagen market. Animal based collagen is dominating the global market with a market share of 78% owing to its wide usages in nutricosmetics, food and beverage products and nutraceuticals particularly dietary supplements. Marine based collagen offers additional advantages of increased bioavailability, fat and calcium free, waste product utilization as well as diseases free component.
North America is dominating the market globally with a market share of 31.3% in 2016 followed by Europe during the forecast period.
Key Developments in the Market
- August 2017: The government of India ban on the sale and purchase of cattle for slaughter from animal markets made Nitta to explore alternative channel for cattle bones by the way of imports.
- August 2017: PB Gelatins/PB Leiner presented its new collagen peptides innovations: The SOLUGEL® BD SERIES.
- August 2017: Weishardt Gélatines invested nearly 4 million additional euro for reinvestment in the cogeneration plant
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
- Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors which are impelling the present market scenario along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
- Country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
- Value chain analysis
- Volume of the global collagen market by application, source and geography
- Consumer behavior analysis in country level
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Report Description
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Trend
3. Market Dynamics
3.1.1 Growing Popularity of Collagen-based Functional Products
3.1.2 Increasing Uses of Collagen as an Additive
3.2.1 Risk of Disease Transmission from Animal based Collagen Products
3.2.2 Efficacy of Isolated Collagen Protein and Increasing Veganism
3.3.1 Evolving Therapeutic Benefits of Collagen
3.3.2 Innovative Use of Collagen in Food & Beverage
3.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
3.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.1 By Application
4.1.1 Meat processing
4.1.2 Dietary supplements
4.1.3 Food additives
4.2 By Sources
4.2.1 Animal-Based Collagen
4.2.2 Marine-Based Collagen
4.3 By Geography
4.3.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
4.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 South Africa
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Most Adopted Market Strategies
5.2 Most Active Companies
5.3 Market Share Analysis
6. Company Profiles
6.1 Rousselot B.V.
6.2 Cargill Inc.
6.3 Ewald-Gelatine GmbH
6.4 Gelita AG
6.5 Holista Colltech Limited
6.7 Junca Gelatines S.L.
6.8 Lapi Gelatine
6.9 Nitta Gelatin Inc.
6.10 PB Gelatins GmbH
6.11 REINERT GRUPPE Ingredients GmbH
6.12 Trobas Gelatine B.V.
6.13 Weishardt Gélatines