Freeze-dried microbial culture is the best dehydrated form, due to its high shelf-life and product quality. Functional dairy and fermented drink products have created a huge competition among freeze-dried microbial culture companies. Freeze dried microbial culture holds a significant share in freeze-dried food market. The global freeze-dried microbial food culture market is expected to grow at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period of 2017–2022, to reach USD XX billion by 2022.
Freeze-drying produces a superior quality culture by facilitating long-term storage and retaining the intact structure of the culture by minimizing the damage that may be caused by other drying methods. The increased shelf-life makes it a profitable product during its supply chain. Moreover, the cultures retain their original shape, while being light-weight, which makes them convenient for transportation. Freeze-dried cultures can be easily revived after prolonged storage by adding liquid medium, and transferring the rehydrated culture to a suitable growth medium. Consumer demand for freeze-dried cultures is also growing mainly due to their convenience; consumers mostly use these cultures to prepare home-made yogurt and sourdough bread. Freeze-dried cultures are preferred for probiotic food and fermented drink applications. The demand for fermented foods is growing rapidly due to the increased consumer awareness, which is another growth factor for the market. However, freeze-drying of culture is an expensive process, and large-scale production of the cultures is not very favourable. Availability of other microbial cultures, such as spray dried culture and liquid microbial culture, are affecting the market.
The global freeze-dried microbial food culture market has been segmented by application and geography. The freeze-dried microbial food culture market, by application, includes dairy-based, cereal-based, meat-based, beverage and other products. The dairy-based segment holds the largest share in the market due to the massive consumption of dairy products, followed by the beverage market.
North America and Europe hold the largest markets in the freeze-dried microbial culture market due to the high technological advancements and increased consumption of fermented food products. The Asia-Pacific market is expected to grow at a faster rate during the forecast period. In the developed regions, such as North America and Europe, the application of freeze-dried cultures in dairy-based products and fermented beverages is growing at a fast rate, which is another major driver for the market.
Some of the major players capturing the market include:
- Chr. Hansen
- Lallemand Inc.
- Lesaffre Group
- Nebraska Cultures Inc. (U.S.)
- Direct NewGen
The focus on reducing production costs through innovative methods will be the future spotlight for the market. The viability of freeze-dried cultures is very crucial, and studies on using varied protective agents to maintain the culture are being conducted. These are some attracting points for research in the field.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the global freeze-dried microbial food culture market, with region- specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the global microbial food culture market on both, global and regional scales.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insight about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights on the major countries/regions where this industry is growing and identify the regions that are still untapped.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Approach & Methodology
2.2 Research Designs
2.3 Study Timeline
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering and Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. KEY FINDINGS OF THE STUDY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.1 Market Dynamics
188.8.131.52 Minimizing the Damage to the Culture with Long Shelf-Life
184.108.40.206 Probiotic and Fermented Beverage Market Encouraging Significant Growth
220.127.116.11 Easy Handling and Transportation
18.104.22.168 High Cost of Freeze Drying
22.214.171.124 Availability of Low Cost Spray Dried and Liquid Cultures
126.96.36.199 Growing Fermneted Dairy Product Consumption Globally
4.1.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
188.8.131.52 Bargaining Power of Buyers
184.108.40.206 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
220.127.116.11 Degree of Competetion
18.104.22.168 Threat of New Entrants
22.214.171.124 Threat of Substitutes
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Market Segmentation
5.1.1 By Application
5.1.2 By Geography
126.96.36.199 North America
188.8.131.52 South America
184.108.40.206.1 South Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Market Share Analysis
6.2 Most Active Companies in the Past Five Years
6.3 Most Preferred Strategic Approach by Major Companies
7. COMPANY PROFILES
7.1 Dupont Danisco®
7.2 Royal DSM
7.3 Chr Hansen
7.4 Lyo-san Inc.
7.5 Lallemand Inc.
7.6 Lesaffre International
7.8 Natural Probiotic Selection
7.10 Biosource Flavors Inc.